Two Minute Mexican Bean Salad

I finally ventured back into the kitchen today. It was worth it:

014

Yes, the moment you have been waiting for — a new 5 minute lunch! The stars:

001

I suddenly seem to have no food in the house (I think the mouse ate it all…), so I decided to work on my “eat the pantry” challenge before I move. Enter:

Two Minute Mexican Bean Salad!

Simply drain and rinse the beans (you can use any kind; black beans and kidney beans are my favorites) and combine them in a bowl:

004

Add some chopped tomatoes:

005

And some seasoning! A used about 5 very hefty shakes each of cumin and chili powder, going along with the Mexican theme. (Sidenote — how have I not made any recipes using cumin recently?! Remember my “I Have a Love Affair with Cumin” post in December? Ah, memories.)

006

008

I finished it off with some hot sauce! Cholula is my favorite.

009

And then I may or may not have tossed in some feta, for good measure. While it did make it betta, it also made it look kind of gross ;) Oh well. These are sacrifices you must make for deliciousness. (If you have grated sharp cheddar cheese on hand, that would have been awesome as well!)

012

Then I tossed the creation on top of some mixed greens and spinach in a big tupperware. It made about three servings so I have leftovers, yay!

015

And for an afternoon snack, a toasted english muffin with some nut butter and local blackberry jelly (purchased at a cute country store during my trip to the Shenandoahs last month!)

019

All together now! I also grabbed an orange to have as a sweet ending to lunch. Fresh fruit is my favorite way to end a meal!

020

And I’m off to work!

Have a great day, friends :)

Comments

I think you should video these so we know they’re really two minutes ;)

That looks delicious! I’d totally make it- so easy :-)

I love Cholula…that sounds so good! And quick, too!

Rachel S says:

This looks great…I have all the ingredients on hand (well, except for hot sauce, I’ll have to buy some), so I’m looking forward to making this very soon!

Lindsay says:

Thanks for adding the lunches to the “recipes” section! I feel like there is a fANNEtastic book in your future that features all this fun stuff. I’d like to reserve my copy now, please :-)

I heart beans + salad!! And, you’d be proud (mostly b/c I thought of you as I was sprinkling) – Cumin made it’s way onto my lunch today too, alongside some ground red pepper (spicayyy). I’m already excited about it!

Perfect meal for the hot days of summer when you just don’t feel like cooking!

I love throwing seasoned beans over salad . . . good combination

And I also share you love of cumin :)

usually I’m not a big fan of beans, but I’m going to give this a whirl :) Definitely would switch things up around here!

i LOVE mexican bean salads…this one looks incredible! i’ve recently fallen in love with cumin and all of it’s glorious smokiness! yum :)

That looks like Nutzo on that english muffin. Love that stuff ;)

yummy! have a great day!

Yummy!!

Looks awesome. Thanks for sharing it…

Glad you made it back to the kitchen ;) Where is the mouse???

Two are dead :/ Hoping that’s the last of them… I feel bad that the pest guys we have used traps that killed them but I don’t want them in the house! :(

YUM. I use cumin all the time!!!! I’m definitely having a love affair with it too!

This looks great! Another great, easy and portable lunch option. Thanks!

Your bean salad looks yummy. Think I would’ve added some pico de gallo with the tomatoes. Of course, I like most things with fresh pico de gallo added. I’m making myself hungry.

What a wonderful (and speedy) dish!!!! Love it!

Looks delicious. I know when I play the “lets eat the pantry since we are moving” game it always allows for some interesting and creative meals. Have fun with that!

You are the queen of seamless, minimal ingredient meals! And you always make them look so incredible.

Jeannine says:

This looks really good! Thanks for a new fresh idea for lunch!

I love your 5 minute lunches! This one looks amazinnngg. Hot sauce and cumin?! I’m in!

Irene Penn (Renie) says:

You know, I had never eaten almond butter until I saw it on your blog.I ordered some from Amazon, (individual packets) and I have been in love with it for a month now. I am getting ready to order more. Thanks for sharing. I am a southern girl and have never liked peanut butter. It’s almost unheard of not to like peanut butter in Georgia. I tried the english muffin and almond butter and blackberry jelly, um um good.

I have ALL of these things in my kitchen and will likely be making this for lunch tomorrow! Thank you :)

I think it cries out for a handful of frozen corn…especially the kind that has bits of peppers and onions in it. Mmm…cumin!

PRAIRIECROCUS says:

Delicious, healthful dish !
    Thanks !

I am going to make the recipe this weekend. It sounds like a great salad but also could be a great dip for football and much healthier.

I’m not crazy about beans, but with all the spices and hot sauce and cheese, it sounds really good. I think I’ll try it!

Danielle Roberts says:

Sounds fantastic!!! I’m heading out to buy some groceries!! Thanks.

Haven’t made it yet (just read it, but know I have every thing except the orange). It sounds great and I am now a fan!

Hector G. Garcia says:

I love some Cotija cheese(grate ;), i mean great sub for feta.)

Girl these recipes are impressive!!

Trackbacks

1. […] if only I could come up with a muffin recipe that calls for cumin… (Speaking of — I’ve discovered my 2 Minute Mexican Bean Salad is AWESOME topped with […]