A few weeks ago, the DC area dietetic association I’m a member of had a fall networking potluck. Originally, I was thinking of bringing some sort of quinoa, bean, or kale salad. And then I realized: wait. I’m going to an event full of dietitians… there is likely going to be WAY too much along the lines of quinoa, beans, and kale. So instead, I decided to make a fun summery pasta creation.
A little while later, and this was born. It’s garlicky, creamy, and delicious, dotted with bursts of flavor from fresh basil, dill, and parsley. You’d never know it’s vegan, too.
This recipe could not be simpler to make. Any kind of pasta will work – any shape (bow tie would be fun here), and you could use quinoa or brown rice pasta instead of whole wheat if you need this recipe to be gluten free (or just want to mix things up). Go crazy!
Do those of you that grew up in the 80’s and 90’s remember the buttery noodles that everyone’s parents used to serve with dinner? This dish kind of reminds me of those noodles, but way better. I hope you enjoy it, too!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
This vegan pasta dish is garlicky, creamy, and delicious, dotted with bursts of flavor from fresh basil, dill, and parsley. It makes a great main dish or enjoy it as a side! To make this dish gluten free, use quinoa or brown rice pasta.
Ingredients (Serves 6 to 8 as a main course)
- 1 lb. pasta, any kind/shape
- 2 C (about one 16 oz. package) frozen peas
- 14 oz. can coconut milk, regular or low fat
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 C (packed) fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
1) Cook pasta according to package directions.
2) Cook frozen peas according to package directions.
3) In a separate large pan, add olive oil and garlic and sauté over medium heat for a few minutes.
4) Add in cooked peas and fresh herbs and stir a few more minutes.
5) Add in cooked pasta and coconut milk. Let simmer until the coconut milk reduces into a thicker sauce.
6) Once pasta has reached desired consistency, add salt & pepper to taste. Serve warm or cold.
Enjoy and have a great weekend, my friends!