I came up with a delicious new vegan creation over the weekend!
I was craving my Comforting Pumpkin Quinoa and started to make that, but, as I began to cook, I decided I wanted something more like my “Cheesy” Coconut SautÃ©ed Chickpeas and Kale (SO good). It worked out well since I’m generally incapable of following a recipe exactly, even if it’s my own. ;)
“Cheesy” Vegan Mushroom Quinoa
Serves 3 as a main dish; 6 as a side dish
Packed with nutrition and a garlicky cheese flavor, this vegan recipe will even please carnivores. :)
- 1/2 C uncooked quinoa
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 baby bok choy, chopped
- Handful washed kale leaves, stems removed (optional)
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (15.5 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. coriander
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt & cracked pepper to taste
1) Cook quinoa according to package directions.
2) In a large wok or pan, add the coconut oil, bok choy, kale, mushrooms, beans, and the garlic powder and coriander. SautÃ© over medium heat a few minutes, or until kale is wilted and the mushrooms and bok choy are softened.
3) Add cooked quinoa and nutritional yeast into the wok and stir. Add salt and cracked pepper to taste.
Super easy, as per usual with my recipes! Matt and I had this for lunch on Sunday as a nice break in between my biochem studying frenzy. He really liked it! Although he said it would also be good with a side of meat. ;)
I’m really lucky that Matt will basically eat anything I put in front of him. For the most part, he usually really likes what I make, but it’s so nice that he isn’t afraid to try any of my healthy creations with ingredients he doesn’t know (although he is sometimes skeptical at first). After a few vegetarian meals he’ll ask for some meat, and I doubt he would ever cook something like this on his own, but it’s great that he is open to at least trying whatever I whip up.
Is your significant other open to eating healthy food? Or do you have to sneak healthy things/new ingredients into meals without them noticing?