Good morning! I made a delicious and simple dinner last night that was so good I just have to share it with you guys. Introducing: Gluten Free Mexican Chicken Casserole!
Mexican Chicken Casserole
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: bake entree gluten-free soy-free nut-free chicken Mexican
Ingredients (Serves 4 to 6)
- 2 C cooked chicken, hand torn (tip: use a rotisserie chicken to save time!)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans (with juice – don’t drain it)
- ¾ C guacamole
- ¾ C nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Juice from 1 fresh lime
- ½ tsp. cracked pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 (8 oz.) package red enchilada sauce
- 12 small corn tortillas
- Extra virgin olive oil or cooking spray, as needed
- ½ C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (as much as you like!)
Preheat oven to 350.
1) In a large bowl, mix together the cooked chicken, black beans, guacamole, yogurt, lime juice, cracked pepper, cumin, and chili powder. You can mix some fresh chopped cilantro in here, too.
2) Lightly oil/cooking spray a 13 x 9 baking dish.
3) Lay 6 of the tortillas into the baking dish so that they cover the bottom as fully as possible.
4) Place chicken/bean/etc. mixture on top of tortillas, spreading it out evenly.
5) Place remaining tortillas on top of the mixture, again spreading them out so they cover everything. Pour the enchilada sauce on top, followed by the cheese and then the cilantro.
6) Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted, sauce is bubbling, and enchiladas are hot.
Serve warm and enjoy!
And then putting on the top layer of tortillas and topping it with the enchilada sauce, cheese, and cilantro!
I used this enchilada sauce, also from Whole Foods. If you want to make your own, check out my recipe for homemade enchilada sauce (it’s within the recipe for my Healthy Chicken Enchiladas)!
15ish minutes later and it was ready to eat.
So good – Matt and I both loved it. Serve alone or with a side salad. Enjoy!