Hello and happy Friday! Did this week absolutely FLY by for anyone else?
For today’s excitement, I’m thrilled to share that if you pick up a copy of the March Health Magazine, you will see an article written by yours truly! :)
The article is entitled “Six Steps to a Healthy Weeknight Dinner” and on pages 116-121! I’m so happy with how it came out – their photographer and page layout designer did an absolutely amazing job!
Look, it’s me! Apparently my “MPH” credential got lost in the mix, but it’s all good. I’m happy they included my blog!
Zara was very interested in learning how to make herself a quick and healthy weeknight dinner, too. ;)
This article was actually inspired by a post here on the blog – almost exactly a year ago, I wrote a post entitled “How to Make a Quick and Healthy Weeknight Dinner” that included 6 steps to throwing together an easy meal. One of the editors at Health saw the post and reached out to me about turning it into an article! We worked together for months fleshing out the language and adding additional tips and tricks to include, and I also developed 4 recipes for the article using the simple steps.
Once I had the recipes developed, I sent them over to the Health team and their photographer got to work making it all look beautiful. So impressed!
If you want, pick up a copy of Health magazine to check out the article! I know this is super nerdy but I might need to get it framed for my future office someday. ;)
In other news, it’s been a very busy week over here, which seems to be a trend since January! My AnneTheRD business has been really thriving since the new year, which is wonderful – I truly love working one on one with clients to help them to develop healthier and happier relationships with food. Beyond juggling client work, I’ve also of course been busy with teaching my Basic Nutrition course at GW! This week we finished up lipid metabolism and moved on to protein digestion/metabolism. I’m also working on getting some guest speakers (related to nutrition policy/public health on the international and national level and nutrition for low income populations) set up for later on in the semester.
On the breakfast front, I’ve been mostly fueling up this week with my old favorite Flour Free Breakfast Pancake – so good and easy!
This has been a big favorite among the Winter Shape Up participants, too. :) Yesterday I rocked one with some blackberries, which were on sale at Trader Joes and totally not in season or local, but they looked delicious so I went with it.
The other big favorite of the Winter Shape Up group has been my Perfect Microwave Banana Oatmeal. Just enjoyed some this morning with my standard cottage cheese and chia seed addition, plus some pomegranate arils.
And now, for this week’s workout recap:
- Saturday: 1 hr & 15 min vinyasa flow yoga class at Edge Yoga – I hit the 9 a.m. taught by Maggie, who I’d never had before. Enjoyed it!
- Sunday: 20 mile LA marathon training run – lots of ice/snow adventures!
- Monday: Skiing! Not the best thing to do the day after a really long run, obviously, but whatev. Felt surprisingly good!
- Tuesday: Rest day, yes please.
- Wednesday: November Project stair workout + running there and back (5 miles total) – awesome workout
- Thursday: Rest-ish day. Normally on Thursdays I’ve been doing kickboxing or CrossFit, but I wasn’t feeling anything more than a nice 40 minute walk outside (it was finally warmer out), so I went with it!
- Friday: Yoga later! Normally I’ve been running Friday mornings for my marathon training, but I felt like I was really in need of a little extra sleep, and my girl Gena asked if I’d be into a yoga + dinner date tonight. Perfect! Enjoyed my 7:30 alarm clock instead of the standard 5:45 or 6. :) This week scored high on the “listen to your body vs. your training plan” scale. Just over 2 weeks til the race, so I can be a little more flexible now, anyway!
And now, to finish out this week! I have some assignments and quizzes to grade for my class, some client follow up work to catch up on, and the usual mountain of emails. It’s looking like it will be a beautiful weekend – so excited to get out and enjoy some warmer sunshine!
Have a good one! I’ll leave you with Zara, who says hi from one of her favorite “toys” as of late – a Whole Foods bag. What a yuppie. ;)
- Why Do Parents Still Urge Children To “Clean Your Plate”? – via Huffington Post
- No Candy Bars Here: This Vending Machine Sells Only Fresh Salads and its Seriously Delicious (how cool is this?!) – via Huffington Post
- Why Some Olympians Load Up On Salad Instead of Pasta (interesting to read about the different nutrition strategies per sport) – via NPR