A few weeks ago, I got an email request from a reader for a recipe for some nut butter-free portable granola bars. Introducing: Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Granola Bars! Super easy to make, whole grain, low in sugar, and completely delicious.
The email actually came at the perfect time, because I had already worked out a recipe for some (inspired by/adapted from Kath’s Baked Oatmeal Snack Bars) and was just waiting for a minute to make them! Yesterday was finally the day to give them a try.
They came out just as delicious as I hoped and will be perfect for a healthy on-the-go snack or even a quick breakfast (with a smoothie on the side)! I did include walnuts in my version, but feel free to leave them out.
You’ve got your whole grains and fiber (oats, whole wheat pastry flour), healthy fat (walnuts, egg), antioxidants (dark chocolate), and protein (milk, egg). Perfect! Not much sugar, either — the flavor is amped up by cinnamon and vanilla extract instead.
Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Granola Bars
(Makes 8 bars)
- 2 C rolled oats
- Â½ C whole wheat pastry flour (or regular flour)
- Â¼ C chopped walnuts (optional)
- Â¼ C dark chocolate chips (or dried fruit)
- Â¼ C sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- Â½ tsp. salt
- 1 & Â½ C skim (or low fat) milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Preheat oven to 375.
In two separate bowls, mix dry ingredients, then wet ingredients. Pour wet into dry, mixing until combined. Pour batter into a cooking-sprayed baking dish (mine is 11×7). Sprinkle raw oats on top if you like (will make it look prettier!).
Bake 30 minutes. Cut into 8 bars and cool on cooling rack.
Try not to burn your tongue ;)
Soft, chewy, and delicious!
I’m definitely bringing a couple of these with me on my trip today! As for the rest of the granola bars, I will probably wrap them individually in tin foil, put them in a ziplock bag, and freeze them. That way I’ll have a healthy and portable snack on hand whenever I need it. :)
If you like the look of these, be sure to check out my other two portable healthy snack bar recipes:
- 5-Minute No Bake Peanut Butter Granola Bars (vegan)
- Cranberry Quinoa Peanut Butter Power Bars
- Almond Butter Banana Breakfast Bars (vegan)
And if you’re just checking back in from the weekend, I have two new long overdue blog pages! Please give them a look :)
- My new FAQ (frequently asked questions) page! I share answers to the questions I get asked the most — what camera/lenses I use, how to become an RD, my favorite restaurants and places to run/bike/hike in DC and Chapel Hill, and more.
- My new travel page! Includes both blog-related travel (conferences & trips) and “just for fun” travel. Enjoy!
Speaking of blog-related travel — I’m heading off to the airport! Scottsdale, Arizona here I come! I’ve never been to Arizona before. Exciting!
Catch you guys later from out west! Until then — you can find me on Twitter ;)