This bread is whole grain, healthy, not too sweet, and delicious. I love the juicy bits of fruit throughout the bread! Great for a morning or afternoon snack. It’s vegan, too!
Figgy Apricot Spelt Bread (vegan)
(makes one loaf — about 12 slices)
- 2 C spelt flour (or whole wheat pastry flour, or half white flour and half whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 C cane sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 & 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed (or 1/2 C nonfat plain yogurt)
- 1/2 C dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 C dried figs, chopped
Preheat oven to 350.
In two separate bowls, mix dry, then wet, and then combine, adding wet to dry and stirring gently until the mixture is uniform-ish. Spoon the mixture into a non-stick or sprayed bread pan; sprinkle some raw oats on top to make it look pretty.
Bake 45 to 50 minutes — fork check near end to make sure it’s done!
Check out the original post for lots more photos/commentary: Figgy Apricot Spelt Bread Vegan Recipe.