They were a huge success, if I do say so myself!
I basically combined a few of my favorite muffins recipes on the blog based on the ingredients I had on hand. As always with my muffins recipes, these come with no butter, no oil, and no sugar coma! And they’re whole wheat to boot :) (Be sure to use whole wheat PASTRY flour vs. regular whole wheat flour — huge difference!)
Here’s what I came up with!
Spiced Butternut Squash Muffins
(makes 12 muffins)
- 1.5 C whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 C cane sugar
- 1/3 C finely ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 C pureed butternut squash (canned or fresh)
- 1/2 C raisins (or chocolate chips)
- 1/2 C skim milk
- 2 small very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
Preheat oven to 350.
1) In two separate bowls, mix dry, then wet, and then combine, adding wet to dry and stirring gently until the mixture is uniform-ish.
2) Spoon the mixture into a non-stick (or sprayed with PAM) muffin tray. Don’t forget to sprinkle some raw oats on top to make ‘em look pretty!
3) Pop them in the oven for about 25 minutes. Fork check to make sure they are done.
My friends Lauren and Stephanie came over yesterday so we could work on our Biostats homework together (and enjoy my new couch — YAY!!). They gave the muffins two big thumbs up :)
Heh. Make these muffins immediately, you won’t regret it :)
I’m super excited because tonight I’m driving up to DC! My birthday (the big 2-8, gah!) is on Tuesday and Matt will be out of town (but not leaving from DC til Saturday morning), so I figured it would be fun to head up there to see everyone for the weekend! I can’t wait for:
- Lunch with my grandmother on Friday
- An early birthday dinner with Matt and my mom on Friday
- A hike in gorgeous fall weather (hopefully) on Saturday
- Birthday dinner and drinks with the girls on Saturday
- Running on my very favorite trail! I miss it so :)
Have a great day, friends! Catch you later from the nation’s capital! :)