Hello and happy Friday, my friends!
I haven’t done a “things I’m lovely lately” super random and all over the place post in awhile, so I figured it was time. ;) Here’s what I’ve been loving lately… what have you been lovely lately?
Now that the weather is heating up, I’m loving afternoon smoothies again. Recent favorite combos:
- Coconut milk + 2 dates + baby kale + ground flaxseed + cinnamon. AMAZING!
- Banana & Spinach Smoothie
- Healthy Shamrock Shake (avocado and mint in smoothies is SO good)
Summer Racing Season!
Normally I don’t do a ton of summer races since DC is so miserably hot come June, so I’m excited to have some out of town races on the docket this summer.
Here’s what I’ve got coming up next so far! I’m also thinking about doing some local trail races just for fun – shade always helps. :) Any local DC area trail race recommendations?
- June 6-8: Runner’s World Heartbreak Hill Half & Festival! I’m going as part of a blogger group and I’d love to see some of you guys there – it sounds like a really cool weekend full of all the things that runner obsessed nerds like me love. :) If you sign up, use these coupon codes for 10% off the race of your choice: 5 and Dime: blogfannetasticfood5&10. Half marathon: blogfannetasticfoodHalf. Hat Trick: blogfannetasticfoodHat <— this is what I’m doing…! :)
- June 21: Rock ‘n’ Roll Seattle Half Marathon with Brooks – so pumped for this, too! I <3 Seattle. I hope the weather is nice!
- In terms of running this week, I got in a fun run with my friend Sokphal yesterday morning – it was gray and really humid out but we made the most of it. :)
4.5 miles – done!
I’ve been obsessed with Stitch Fix for awhile now (if you haven’t signed up yet, do it – here’s my full Stitch Fix review from nearly a year ago), but they’ve really been nailing it lately. Last week was the first time I got a package that I kept everything out of – it was all perfect! I especially loved this dress (and the white jeans and tank I shared on Instagram) – so comfy and cute. Do you guys think it’s fancy enough to wear to a wedding over Memorial Day weekend? I feel like it’s more formal in person than the picture makes it – it’s a little shimmery with gold flecks throughout the fabric, and the back is a V shape like the front. Thoughts?
It’s been so fun getting back into CrossFit again now that I’m not full marathon training anymore. I went to the 6 a.m. class on Wednesday and it was a good one – 20 minutes of: 5 chest to bar pull ups (I used a band) + 10 hand release push ups + 15 wall balls (sooo hard). Whew!
Our skill work was double unders, which I’m terrible at – any tips for mastering them? I can hardly do one and usually just end up jumping weirdly or hitting my ankles really hard with the rope. Lol. Help! :)
I know I’ve included this in a previous things I’m loving lately post, but I’m including it again. My AnneTheRD practice has been really thriving since January and it makes me so happy to help clients work toward positive and meaningful changes in their lives. As my private practice has grown I’ve been working on refining my focus a bit, and I find that what I love the most and think I’m best at is helping people to change their relationships with food, exercise, and their bodies, turning them into something positive vs. a source of stress or guilt. I had a client the other day say to me: “Anne, you’re like a life coach or something – SO much more than just a dietitian!” Hearing things like that makes the 3.5 years of school and biochem and agonizing over what to do with my life so, so worth it. I feel like I’m where I’m supposed to be, doing what I’m supposed to be doing, and it feels pretty damn good.
I’ve been making a big effort to get back into reading in the evenings lately before bed since it really helps me to unwind, especially since my days have been so full and busy lately. Right now I’m reading 10% Happier – have you guys heard of it? It’s fascinating and really confirms a lot of the things that I work with clients on – mindfulness both when eating and in life to reduce stress, overeating, anxiety, etc. In this age of never-ending work and 24/7 connectivity, I’ve been trying to manage stress by taking time to calm my mind and my body, and I actually think this book may convince me to attempt meditating for the first time, too. Are any of you meditation fans? Any tips? I have a hard time quieting the mind, as I think most people do nowadays, though I have been really working on trying to do one thing at a time vs. a million things at once (which usually just leads to me feeling more stressed and, somewhat counter-intuitively, being less productive). Yoga has really helped with being more mindful/calm, too, so I figure meditation might be the next step… we’ll see.
On a totally different subject, next up on my reading list is The Fault In Our Stars – I’ve been hearing amazing things about this book for ages now and keep meaning to read it. I finally bought a copy and am going to start it as soon as I finish 10% Happier! What great books have you been reading lately?
And now, to round out this extremely random post, some weekend reading/of interest items. Have a fabulous weekend, everyone! :)
- How To Stick With Your Workouts: Tips from Consistent Exercisers – via Carrots ‘n’ Cake
- How to Vet a Personal Trainer or Nutritionist You’ve Never Met – via DailyBurn
- 20 Things to Start Doing in Your Relationships – via Buddhist Things – I really love this
- 9 Nutrition Experts to Follow on Instagram – via POPSUGAR Fitness. Honored to be included!
- DC area friends: the Endurance Athlete Center is offering a special on the use of their Alter G machine this month – a free 60 minute trial – details here.