Here are some of my favorite tips for staying healthy while traveling.
Tips for Staying Healthy While Traveling:
- Bring a reusable water bottle and drink LOTS of water. My water bottle comes with me everywhere! If flying, bring it through security empty and fill it up on the other side.
- Walking and running are the best ways to see new cities and get a great workout in at the same time. More wiggle room for delicious food, right? :)
- I also love renting a bike in a new city to explore!
- Pack lots of snacks so you can stay healthy in between meals.
- Pick one “splurge” meal for the day — I usually stick with healthier food for breakfast and lunch (and snacks), and indulge a bit more at dinner when traveling.
- If you’re driving, pack food for the day you’re driving. If you’re on a longer trip, hit a grocery store for breakfast and lunch food.
- Favorite packables:
- Bars (Kashi granola bars, Larabars, etc.)
- Homemade trail mix or almonds (in portion controlled baggies)
- Fresh fruit (bananas, apples, etc. — these can also be “borrowed” from hotel continental breakfasts for mid-day snacks) or dried fruit
- Baggies of pre-portioned oatmeal (with cinnamon, raisins, etc.) and cereal to supplement hotel breakfasts.
- Almond butter packets!
- Use the hotel gym
- Bring resistance bands, a jump rope, printable workout moves, or exercise DVDs
- Always take the stairs.
And lastly: don’t worry too much! Just stay active and enjoy the trip! :)