I was up bright and early this morning and decided to do a little experimental baking :)
I love trying to create random new recipes — it really brings out my creative side :) I’d say this one was a major success!
Vegan Almond Butter Banana Breakfast Bars
(makes 10-12 bars)
- 1 C spelt flour (see this post for more info on spelt)
- 1 C old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 C finely ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 C pure maple syrup
- 1/4 C smooth almond butter
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
Preheat oven to 350.
1) In two separate bowls, mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients, then combine, adding wet to dry and stirring gently until mixed.
2) Pour mixture into a pan and pat it down evenly. (If you’ve learned anything from my blog, I hope it’s that you should always top baked goods with raw oats to make them look pretty :) )
3) Pop into the oven and bake for about 25 or so minutes. Fork check to make sure they are done.
And voila! So easy :)
I cut mine into bars for easy grabbing and go-ing later. These would make an awesome pre-workout snack or quick breakfast!
I love having healthy baked goods in the house :) Breakfast just got way more awesome!
So pretty :)
I followed my normal recipe (which you can find here), but used almond butter instead of peanut butter and added in 1/3 C of goji berries for a little antioxidant punch ;)
Goji berries are so pretty!
Funny story: I actually first tried goji berries while I was in Prague! One of my coworkers at the Czech primary school where I taught, a Czech teacher named Jitka, was really into health food and used to give these to me at school sometimes for a snack. But I never had a clue what they were because she didn’t know the English name for them! It wasn’t until I came back to the U.S. and saw them in Whole Foods that I figured it out :) I usually just snack on them raw — they are great for a sweet treat after a meal!
I just popped the granola bars into the fridge — I’m thinking I’ll wrap them up individually and freeze them so I can enjoy them over the next 3 weeks!
Alrighty… play time is over. :( Time to get back to some serious studying! T-minus 2 weeks until my BioChem final and I have a long way to go! My last day of work is Wednesday — how time flies!