First things first: thank you all so, so much for the kind words on yesterday’s post about finally becoming an RD. I still can’t believe that I’m really done! It’s been an honor to share my back to school journey with all of you over the past 3 years. Thank you for reading and stay tuned to see what comes next. :)
And now – a new recipe! I’m officially obsessed with biscotti.
After my Whole Wheat Pumpkin Goji Biscotti success in December, I decided it was time to try my hand at another batch, because let’s be honest… lattes just aren’t quite the same without biscotti.
This time, the goal was an old favorite: almond biscotti, but with a twist – no milk or eggs so my vegan friends could enjoy it, too.
It was a major success, if I do say so myself. Like last time, these are whole wheat and lower in sugar than normal biscotti, too. Instead of skim milk, I used Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla almondmilk, which not only kept the recipe vegan but also added a fun hint of vanilla to the biscotti, too. It’s only 30 calories per serving, 100% free of lactose and dairy, and also adds a little calcium punch to the mix – it has 50% more calcium per serving than skim milk!
Did I mention they’re delicious? My friend Gena happily served as my taste tester and gave them 2 thumbs up. :)
Vegan Vanilla Almond Biscotti
Makes about 16 biscotti
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup almond flour/meal
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except for almondmilk. Once mixed, slowly add almondmilk and mix until uniform.
2. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray; form dough into a loaf shape and place on sheet.
3. Bake until center is firm (about 20 to 25 minutes); remove from oven and cool. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
4. Once cool, slice into 1-inch thick cookies; bake 15 to 20 additional minutes at 300 degrees.
Let cool and enjoy with a latte!
Nutrition facts per piece of biscotti (when recipe makes 16 pieces): 150 calories, 5.5g fat, 23g carbs, 3g fiber, 9g sugar, 4g protein.
What’s your favorite flavor of biscotti?