I have a new favorite healthy recipe. Perfect for the holidays, too! Introducing: Whole Wheat Pumpkin Goji Biscotti!
I’d forgotten how awesome biscotti is until I made this a couple weeks ago, just for fun. Lattes and hot tea are just that much better when biscotti is by their side, don’t you think?
Even better is that this biscotti, while delicious, is also whole wheat, lower in sugar than normal biscotti, and packed with some great nutrients from the pumpkin and dried goji berries! Goji berries are full of antioxidants – perfect for cold season. And pumpkin is always a win, let’s be honest.
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Goji Biscotti
- 2 & 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (don’t use regular WW flour)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup liquid egg whites (or 2 egg whites)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup goji berries (optional – dried cranberries would also work)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients except for the goji berries.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, mixing until uniform. Add goji berries and gently mix.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray; form dough into a loaf shape and place on sheet.
- Bake until center is firm (about 20 to 25 minutes); remove from oven and cool. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- Once cool, slice into 1-inch thick cookies; bake 15 to 20 additional minutes at 300 degrees.
These would make a great holiday gift, don’t you think?
What’s your favorite flavor of biscotti?