Back in March, I announced that I was working on developing a 6 week intuitive and mindful eating group program with fellow dietitians Alex and Rachael. In that post, I shared more about my journey to becoming an intuitive eating dietitian – how I wanted to teach people to eat whole, real food that made them feel good, and to enjoy – not dread – exercise. For the past 3 and a half years, I’ve worked with clients one-on-one through my AnneTheRD practice (and will continue to do so!), helping them to improve their relationships with food and their bodies. It has been so rewarding to see clients begin navigating food decisions without stress and fear and embracing a kinder, more natural form of eating that doesn’t involve guilt and restriction.
Diets don’t work, guys. In addition to sucking the joy out of food, research is showing that dieting is actually an indicator of long term weight gain – not to mention a really good way to set yourself up for disordered eating, binging, and a lot of guilt and fear around food that comes from the all or nothing mentality. In fact, just Monday a study on The Biggest Loser contestants was released, adding to the pile of growing evidence showing that diets and calorie restriction simply don’t work long term.
Every time I hear someone talk about trying a new crash diet or criticizing their body or commenting how they are being “so bad” for eating something delicious, it makes me sad because I know there is a better way. Not everyone may be ready for this approach, though, and I’ve learned that there is a time to gently advocate and educate as well as a time to keep my mouth shut and hope they will come around on their own.
So – why a group program when we are already doing this work with our private clients? It’s simple – Rachael, Alex, and I want to reach more people. We know it’s not doable for many people to commit to one-on-one coaching due to financial constraints, and that while some people might prefer the one-on-one approach, others will thrive in a group setting with their peers cheering and supporting them along the way. So here we are – introducing Joyful Eating, Nourished Life.
We have spent over 6 months developing this comprehensive program, which is PACKED with the best science-backed strategies and tools for nutrition, intuitive and mindful eating, fitness, and habit building. We want you to stop stressing and start living!
Here’s a look at what’s included in the 6 week program:
- A 50+ page starter guide, including 10 principles of joyful eating, 15 no-recipe formula meals and snacks, finding your happy weight and additional resources. (You’ll get this immediately upon signing up so you will have plenty of time to check it out before the program starts!)
- Bi-weekly emails with in-depth, written lesson plans packed with action steps, learning activities, strategies and support.
- Access to a private Facebook group during the program for support, encouragement and sharing with other participants, and access to Q&A with me, Alex and Rachael. (You’ll transition to a private alumni Facebook group after the program concludes for continued support!)
- Weekly challenges provided on a handy tracking worksheet to monitor your progress and success.
- A guided weekly meditation series in audio format. (I love these so much I am listening to them all the time myself!)
- Weekly thought provoking journaling exercises.
- Four audio lectures for listening and learning on the go.
In each week of the 6 week program we will highlight a specific topic, which you can read more about on our sign up now page. Here’s a sneak peek at some of the weekly content:
- The Joyful Eating Journal, a calorie counting free (yay!) food journal designed to help you discover the “whys” behind your unwanted eating habits.
- A simple, flexible and fuss free template for planning meals with staying power. No more battling the hangry monster!
- Tools for a pantry makeover plus ideas for simple, weeknight pantry meals you can throw together in minutes.
- Strategies for navigating social eating situations, including parties, going out to eat and holidays, without overeating or feeling deprived.
- An emotional eating worksheet that teaches you to nourish your soul and deal with negative emotions without food.
- A step by step mindful eating guide.
- Strategies to stop exercising for calorie burn and start to create a fitness routine that gets you excited to strap on your running shoes (or roll out your yoga mat!).
- Tools for building body confidence so you can love the skin you’re in. After all, you can’t take good care of something you hate.
- An exercise in self compassion, so you can learn from inevitable struggles and create a plan for next time.
Our first program launches on June 20, 2016, and as of today you can officially sign up to join us! Space is limited and we are offering a special introductory price, so don’t miss out.
Questions? Check out the FAQ section of the Joyful Eating website, which answers a number of common questions including the following:
- Will I lose weight from this program?
- Will this program work if I’m vegetarian/vegan/gluten free/etc?
- Will this program work for people of all ages?
- Is this program appropriate for someone with an eating disorder?
- Is this program appropriate for someone struggling with more mild forms of disordered eating, yo-yo dieting, and/or binge eating?
We hope some of you will join us in June, and that if you know anyone who might benefit from this program you will share it with them. Thank you in advance for spreading the joyful eating love, and happy eating, my friends!