This is the perfect dessert — it tastes like an amazingly decadent pumpkin pie… but it’s actually very healthy! Made with 100% whole wheat bread and nutritious sweet potato!
- 1.5 C whole milk
- 3/4 C canned pureed sweet potato (pumpkin would also work)
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5 slices 100% whole wheat or sprouted grain bread, toasted and cubed
Preheat oven to 350.
1) Whisk all ingredients except the bread together in a large bowl.
2) Toast the 5 slices of bread. This will make it hold it’s shape when it bakes (when I dream up a new recipe, there’s no way my excitement will allow me to wait for bread to go stale!).
3) Cut the toasted bread into cubes and add into a deep pan. Pour the sweet potato liquid mixture evenly on top of the bread.
4) Pop the pan into the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Your kitchen will shortly smell amazing.