Looking to spice up your fall & winter soup repertoire? This easy chicken curry with coconut milk is saucy, healthy, and oh so flavorful!
It makes a wonderful quick and veggie-packed weeknight meal. Vegetarian or vegan? No problem – tofu would be delicious in place of chicken in this recipe!
Easy Coconut Curry with Chicken
I love the aroma this makes while it’s cooking on the stove. It’s such a satisfying meal for chilly nights – it’ll warm you right up!
This coconut chicken curry is a great base, but by no means does it have to be set in stone! Feel free to use it as a starting point and get creative with your veggies, protein, etc.
I added some brown rice to make it even more filling, but other whole grains (like barley) or crusty bread would work great, too.
When it comes to the veggies, though: the more colorful the better. You eat with your eyes first, my friends!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy chicken curry:
- coconut milk
- curry paste
- olive oil
- curry powder
- bell pepper
- bok choy
- brown rice (optional)
How to Make Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
Start by cooking your brown rice, if you’re including it.
Next, cook your desired protein (chicken, tofu, shrimp, etc.) in a large, deep pan or wok over medium heat. Be sure to add olive oil and garlic to the pan while cooking.
Then, add the rest of the ingredients (except for the rice) and mix well. Cover and cook on low for about 5 minutes. This steams the veggies and finishes cooking the chicken.
Once heated through, you’re ready to serve. Spoon into bowls over the brown rice and enjoy!
I love how full of flavor and comforting this meal is. I’m always craving it – it’s just that good!
How to Store Coconut Curry with Chicken
Save leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge – they should last for 3 days. If you made brown rice to go with it, I recommend keeping the rice separate until you’re ready to eat, so it won’t get soggy sitting in the curry broth.
You can also freeze the chicken curry for up to 2 months! Just make sure it’s in a freezer-safe, airtight container.
The full chicken curry with coconut milk recipe is at the bottom of this post. Please let me know how you like it!
Love this recipe? Here are some other fast weeknight favorites:
- Sweet Potato & Lentil Coconut Curry (vegan)
- Healthy Chicken Fingers (gluten free)
- Greek Lamb Burgers
- Jamaican Jerk Turkey Burgers with Pineapple Salsa
- Creamy Mexican Chicken Chili Soup (gluten free)
- Pesto Baked Salmon with Veggies
- Caribbean Shrimp Quinoa Salad (gluten free)
- Almond Crusted Tilapia
- Crockpot Turkey Chili
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes (or tofu, shrimp, etc.)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large Bok choy, sliced
- 1 red (or other color) bell pepper, sliced
- 1 can light or regular coconut milk
- 3 tsp. curry paste
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- Brown rice (I used 90 second)
- In a large, deep pan or wok, cook the chicken (or tofu or shrimp) on medium heat in the olive oil and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the rice) to the pan and mix it all around, then cover and heat on low for about 5 minutes (this will steam the veggies nicely & fully cook the chicken).
- Serve on top of brown rice and enjoy!