This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is flavorful and savory, and comes together in under 30 minutes flat for a great weeknight meal!
I’m a big fan of super easy, hands-off recipes, and this one definitely fits the bill. Plus, it’s a crowd pleaser, and you can top your soup with all your favorite fixings. Great for the whole family!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
As you guys know, I finally jumped on the bandwagon and got an Instant Pot (<–affiliate link to the 6 quart version I have)! Pressure cookers always seemed like a good idea for fast meals, but they kind of terrify me to be honest.
We had to use one a few times in food science lab back when I was in grad school to become a dietitian, and I was convinced the top was always about to blow off. (Here’s a blast from the past blog post recapping a food science lab class from one day in grad school!)
So, three cheers for the Instant Pot – really fast cooking, but without the nerves. 🙂
For our first Instant Pot adventure, Matt and I made a Mexican-themed soup, because that’s what I was craving! I love chicken tortilla soup, but I hardly ever make it because it takes so long to get a flavorful broth and really tender chicken.
That’s where the Instant Pot comes in handy! The high pressure cooks everything quickly, and all the flavors get melded together in a fraction of the time it would take on the stove. No Instant Pot? No worries – you can also do this in a regular slow cooker. You’ll just want to start earlier in the day!
You might also like this Instant Pot vegetarian tortellini soup recipe!
Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
You’ll see from the ingredients below that I added some flair to this chicken tortilla soup recipe by including sweet potatoes. They’re a fantastic hearty addition, and make this recipe even more filling and cozy. If you’re not feeling them, though, you can certainly make this without them and it will still taste good.
The tortilla chips are actually on the side rather than in this soup, in case you’re wondering why they are missing from the picture! 🙂
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- boneless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- sweet potatoes
- chicken broth
- bell pepper
- canned diced tomatoes
- black beans
- seasonings (garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin)
How to Make Tortilla Soup in the Instant Pot
Not only is this recipe quick-cooking, but it’s also easy to prepare. Just toss everything into the Instant Pot (or a slow cooker), set the timer, shred the chicken, and stir.
The toppings are key: I love tortilla chips, avocado, lime, cilantro, and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt to add even more flavor and texture.
When you stir in the Greek yogurt and cheese, the soup gets creamy, rich and even MORE delicious… don’t skimp on the toppings. Or on the chips to enjoy on the side! In my opinion, if a meal doesn’t have a crunchy component, it’s not satisfying. 🙂
You’ll find the full Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup recipe at the end of this post. Matt and I love this recipe, and we hope you will, too!
Looking for more easy soup & stew recipes? Here are some of my favorites:
- Chicken & White Bean Chili Soup
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken Stew
- Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
- Butternut Squash & Turkey Chili
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Sweet Potato and Lentil Curry
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- Coconut Curry with Chicken
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
Ready to make more Instant Pot creations? Here are some ideas:
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup (vegan, gluten free)
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash & Vegan Bolognese (vegan, gluten free)
- Maple Mustard Chicken (Instant Pot) (gluten free)
- Instant Pot Quinoa Fried Rice (gluten free with GF soy sauce)
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup (gluten free)
- Farro Risotto with Spring Veggies (Instant Pot)
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken (gluten free)
- Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers
And here’s an easy way to make shredded chicken in your Instant Pot (from frozen!).
Do you have an Instant Pot? What kind of Instant Pot recipes would you like to see in the future?
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 28-oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 32-oz carton low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt and cayenne pepper
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Optional garnishes: Tortilla chips, plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, avocado, cilantro, and lime
- Place all ingredients except black beans and garnishes in the metal insert of the instant pot. Secure the lid and turn the venting nozzle to point towards "sealing."
- Push the "Soup" button and adjust the time to 20 minutes.
- When timer goes off, push "Keep Warm/Cancel." Turn the venting nozzle towards "venting" to release steam. Tip: push the nozzle towards venting with a wooden spoon so you can keep your hands far away from the steam.
- When all the steam has been released, unlock and remove the lid. Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Add the chicken back to the pot with the black beans and stir.
- Top with garnishes of your choice and enjoy!