This chicken sausage pasta with sage butter sauce, butternut squash, and spinach is a delicious dinner that’s also super easy to make! I used chickpea spirals for the pasta in this recipe to mix it up, but any pasta works just as well. I am a big regular pasta fan, too!
Is there anything more comforting than a bowl of pasta? Especially when it’s packed with flavorful veggies and drizzled with a simple – but drool-worthy – sage browned butter sauce. Yes, please!
Sage Butter Pasta with Chicken Sausage
I really love the flavor combinations here, but as with many of my recipes, it can be tweaked based on what you’ve got in your fridge. Any combination of protein, veggies, pasta, and even sauces can be used. That’s the beauty of pasta dishes!
Using pre-cooked chicken sausage makes the cooking even quicker. All you really have to do is lightly brown/heat the sausage through and soften the veggies in a skillet before combining with the pasta and sauce. Quick, filling, and ridiculously tasty!
Looking for another tasty pasta dish? Check out this tomato garlic pasta with ground turkey or this veggie pesto pasta with broccoli!
Chicken Sausage Pasta Ingredients
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- pasta (Any kind you like!)
- chicken sausage (Pre-cooked – most sausage flavor combos would be great here. If you’d prefer, you can use raw sausage. Just be sure to bake or grill it first, so it’s fully cooked before tossing it in the pasta.)
- butternut squash (To save time, buy pre-cubed butternut squash if possible.)
- fresh sage
You can totally mix and match your vegetables, too. Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and/or mushrooms would all be great additions or swaps!
The sage browned butter sauce has a silky, earthy flavor that feels fancy but is actually quite simple. It only requires 2 ingredients and a few minutes to make!
For another tasty autumn-inspired dish, check out these chicken sweet potato harvest bowls!
How to Make Pasta with Sage Browned Butter Sauce
To make this chicken sausage pasta, start by cutting up the chicken sausage and veggies. Next, par-cook the butternut squash so it’s somewhat (but not totally) tender. To do this, place butternut squash cubes in a microwave-safe bowl with water, cover, and microwave for 3 minutes (or until just tender). Alternatively, you can roast the squash cubes on a sheet pan at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes, or until just tender.
Next, cook your pasta according to the directions on the package. While the pasta is cooking, cook the chicken sausage and veggies (including squash) on a skillet over medium-high heat.
In a separate small saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of salted butter over medium heat. Once melted, add 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh sage leaves. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce is fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl immediately to avoid burning the butter. At this point, stir a few large handfuls of fresh baby spinach in with the sausage and veggie skillet until wilted. Lastly, toss the sausage, veggies, and pasta in the sauce and serve right away!
Feel free to add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top if desired!
This recipe makes about 4 servings for dinner, plus some leftovers for lunch, too.
You’ll find the full chicken sausage & sage butter pasta recipe at the bottom of this post. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to check out my other mix and match pasta recipes:
What’s your favorite pasta dish? Let me know in the comments!
Looking for more easy & tasty dinner ideas? Check these out:
- Peanut Sauce Stir Fry with Shrimp
- Lemon Dijon Sheet Pan Salmon Dinner
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Crockpot Mexican Chicken
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Grilled Steak and Strawberry Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette
- Saucy Chicken with Artichokes and Tomatoes
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas (+ Gluten Free Option)
- Sheet Pan Asian Salmon with Veggies
Sage Butter Pasta with Chicken Sausage
This chicken sausage and veggie pasta is coated in a luxurious-tasting - yet simple - sage butter sauce. A delicious, easy weeknight dinner!
- 1 package pasta (16 ounces)
- 1 package pre-cooked chicken sausage (sliced)
- 2 cups butternut squash (cubed)
- 2-3 large handfuls spinach
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp fresh sage leaves (chopped)
- Thinly slice the chicken sausage.
- Par-cook the butternut squash until just tender. To do this, place butternut squash cubes in a microwave-safe bowl with water, cover, and microwave for about 3 minutes. Alternatively, you can roast the squash cubes on a sheet pan at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes, or until just tender.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, saute the chicken sausage and veggies (including squash) on a skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a separate small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add chopped sage. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce is fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl immediately to avoid burning the sauce.
- Stir a few large handfuls of spinach in with the sausage and veggie skillet until wilted.
- Lastly, toss the sausage, veggies, and pasta in the sauce and serve!
If using a whole butternut squash: make a few slits in the skin with a knife and pop it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes before cutting it into cubes. This will make it easier to peel and cut.