This tomato garlic pasta with ground turkey is perfect for your next pasta night! It’s simple, easy to make, and super flavorful. Plus, it comes together in less than 30 minutes!
I love veggie-packed pasta dishes. They’re easy to mix and match with different veggies and sauces, plus they’re quick. And, I don’t know a lot of people who don’t like pasta. 😉
(If you’re gluten-free, brown rice pasta or chickpea pasta can be great alternatives!)
Turkey Penne with Tomato Garlic Sauce
This penne features a tasty and garlicky (but not too garlicky) tomato sauce, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, and ground turkey. Make a big batch so you have leftovers for lunches!
As always, you can toss in whatever veggies you have in the fridge or use a different sauce – feel free to get creative. Fresh basil is always a delicious addition to pasta dishes, but definitely not a necessity if you want to keep this recipe simple.
This tomato garlic pasta sauce is super flavorful without feeling heavy.
I feel like a lot of pasta sauces (especially heavy cream-based ones) can be overpowering, and I prefer lighter sauces like this one! It’s sweet and savory at the same time, and so easy to make.
Tomato Garlic Pasta Ingredients
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- whole wheat penne (or really any kind of pasta and shape you want, you do you!)
- ground turkey
- cherry tomatoes
- bell peppers (Red bell peppers are sweeter, but any color should work.)
- olive oil
If you’re not into ground turkey, this would also be great with white beans, shredded rotisserie chicken, or sliced chicken sausage.
Mushrooms, spinach, or broccoli would also be great veggies to add. So many ways to mix it up!
How to Make Turkey Penne with Veggies
Now, let’s talk about how to whip up this tasty dish!
Start by cooking the pasta based on the package instructions. Be sure to save about a half cup of pasta water when you drain it (you’ll need it later!).
Next, start your sauce.
Heat a small saucepan or skillet to medium heat and add olive oil.
Next, add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. (But make sure it doesn’t don’t burn!)
Stir in cherry tomatoes and cook for another 5-6 minutes, until they begin to soften.
Add 1/2 cup of pasta water (or veggie/chicken broth would also be great for even more flavor, just skip the salt then) and a pinch of salt and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the liquid is reduced and saucy.
While the pasta is boiling, brown the ground turkey until mostly cooked through (no longer pink in the middle). Set aside.
Wipe out the skillet, add the sliced veggies, and cook until just softened. Add the ground turkey back to the skillet and mix with the vegetables, cooking an additional 2-3 minutes.
Lastly, toss everything together until the pasta is well-coated by the sauce. Optionally, add some parmesan and/or chopped fresh basil on top. Serve and enjoy!
I love how bright and colorful it turns out. I hope you love this as much as we do!
You’ll find the full tomato garlic pasta with ground turkey recipe at the bottom of this post.
What’s your favorite pasta sauce? Let me know in the comments!
Don’t forget to check out my other mix and match pasta recipes:
Looking for more easy & tasty dinner ideas? Check these out:
- Peanut Sauce Stir Fry with Shrimp
- Lemon Dijon Sheet Pan Salmon Dinner
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Crockpot Mexican Chicken
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Grilled Steak and Strawberry Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette
- Saucy Chicken with Artichokes and Tomatoes
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas (+ Gluten Free Option)
- Sheet Pan Asian Salmon with Veggies
For the pasta base:
- 1 package whole wheat penne
- 1 lb raw ground turkey
- 1-2 cups zucchini (sliced and halved)
- 1-2 cups bell peppers (sliced)
For the sauce:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 pint halved cherry tomatoes
- Pinch of salt
- Cook pasta based on the package instructions. (Be sure to save about a cup of pasta water for later.)
- While the pasta is boiling, heat a small saucepan to medium heat and add olive oil. Add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Stir in cherry tomatoes and cook for another 5-6 minutes, until they start to soften. Add 1/2 cup of pasta water* and a pinch of salt and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the liquid is reduced.
- Next, brown the turkey in a skillet until mostly cooked through. Set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet, add the sliced zucchini and bell pepper, and cook until just softened. Add the ground turkey back to the skillet and mix with the vegetables, cooking an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Lastly, toss everything together until the pasta is well-coated by the sauce, then serve!
*You can use vegetable or chicken broth in the sauce in place of pasta water, if desired.