This healthy beef and broccoli stir fry features a homemade ginger soy sauce for a delicious, easy meal! This dish is simple to prep, and you only need one skillet to make it.
A sprinkle of sesame seeds adds even more flavor. Serve with a side of brown rice or noodles for extra staying power!
Ginger Beef Stir Fry
I’m a big fan of stir fries. They’re so easy to make, they’re healthy, and you can toss in whatever you have on hand. Switching up the proteins, veggies, and sauces, there are endless variations to make! (Check out my mix & match stir fry recipes post for more inspiration.)
I love the simplicity of stir fries, too. Really, all you have to do is cut everything up and throw it into a large skillet until it’s cooked. And with the homemade sauce, it’s just a matter of whisking everything together in a jar or bowl. There are no complicated steps or fancy equipment needed!
(If you’re making a LOT of food at once, you may choose to use a wok – it’s a larger, deeper skillet that’s perfect for stir fries – but a regular large skillet works just fine, too.)
This particular recipe is a homemade, lightened-up version of the popular takeout dish beef and broccoli. The flavor combo here is divine – it’s a favorite for a reason!
Looking for a different stir fry recipe to try? Check out this chicken teriyaki snap pea stir fry.
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry Ingredients
Now, let’s go over what’s needed to make this healthy beef and broccoli.
For the stir fry base:
- raw steak (you can get pre-cut steak strips at the store, or buy flank steak and slice it yourself. You’ll want to opt for a lean, tender cut like top round that cooks quickly.)
- fresh or frozen broccoli (be sure to cut it into small florets for quicker cooking. Plus, it’s easier to eat that way!)
- fresh or frozen mushrooms (I recommend shiitake, enoki, or oyster mushrooms, but any type should work fine)
For the ginger soy sauce:
- minced/grated ginger
- soy sauce
- rice vinegar
- sesame seeds
- cornstarch (to thicken the sauce)
This recipe variation features beef, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, and ginger soy sauce. But like I said before – feel free to go wild with whatever proteins/veggies you have on hand! This would also be delicious with bell pepper, carrots, water chestnuts, edamame, snap peas, etc.
How to Make Healthy Beef and Broccoli
First, you’ll want to start by whipping up your sauce! Place all sauce ingredients in a jar or bowl, then whisk until well-mixed.
Next, heat a large skillet over high heat with a drizzle of sesame oil (olive oil works too). Toss in your steak strips and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, until cooked through. Remove steak from the pan and set aside.
Then, add another drizzle of oil to the pan and toss in your veggies. Reduce heat to medium-high. I usually par-cook heartier veggies like broccoli and carrots in the microwave with a splash of water for 1-2 minutes first. But if you don’t want to do that, you can cook hearty veggies for a few minutes in the pan first, before adding the rest of the veggies.
Cook veggies, stirring occasionally, until they’ve reached your desired level of tenderness. This usually takes about 5-10 minutes.
Lastly, throw the cooked steak and sauce into the pan with the veggies. Stir well for a minute or two, until the sauce has thickened and glazed the rest of the ingredients.
Serve alongside rice or noodles if desired, and enjoy! You’ll find the full healthy beef and broccoli recipe at the bottom of this post.
Don’t forget to check out my other mix and match stir fry recipes:
What’s your favorite stir fry combo? Let me know in the comments below!
Looking for more easy & healthy dinner ideas? Check these out:
- Peanut Sauce Stir Fry with Shrimp
- Lemon Dijon Sheet Pan Salmon Dinner
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Sriracha Tofu Stir Fry
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Tomato Garlic Pasta with Ground Turkey
- Saucy Chicken with Artichokes and Tomatoes
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas (+ Gluten Free Option)
- Sheet Pan Asian Salmon with Veggies
- Sage Butter Pasta with Chicken Sausage
Healthy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
This healthy beef and broccoli stir fry is a homemade version of the popular takeout dish. Super flexible, and easy to make!
For the stir fry base:
- 1 lb flank steak (raw), sliced into strips
- 1 large head of broccoli (or bag of florets), chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- sesame oil (or olive oil)
- desired vegetables (ex: mushrooms, bell peppers, edamame, etc.)
For the ginger soy sauce:
- 1 tablespoon minced/grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Place all sauce ingredients in a jar or bowl, then whisk until well-mixed.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat with a drizzle of oil. Cook steak strips, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, until cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add another drizzle of oil to the pan and add chopped vegetables. Reduce heat to medium-high. Heartier vegetables like broccoli and carrots should be cooked for a few minutes in the pan first, before adding the rest of the veggies.
- Cook veggies, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes, until they've reached your desired level of tenderness.
- Lastly, add the cooked steak and sauce back into the pan with the veggies. Stir for 1-2 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and glazed the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve alongside rice or noodles if desired, and enjoy!
You can also par-cook heartier veggies like broccoli and carrots in the microwave with a splash of water for 1-2 minutes before stir-frying them in the pan, if desired.