My First Morning Workout This Summer!

If you’ve been reading my blog for awhile, you’ll know that I used to be a pretty die hard morning exerciser. When I was working full time after college I always did morning workouts because I knew once I got home motivation kind of died; when I was doing prerequisites for school and working part time I stuck with the morning routine, and when I was in grad school I always met up with friends for morning workouts before class so I could focus on school work later in the day.

But then I started working at the hospital this summer for my dietetic internship. Start time? 7 a.m. Goodbye, morning workouts.

I’ve actually been able to settle into a pretty good evening workout routine this summer — and I’ve been enjoying it more than I thought I would. The key for me is workouts with other people to hold me accountable — either going to CrossFit Dupont with Matt, or my Tuesday night Lululemon run club, etc. It’s been kind of fun to end the day with a workout, not worrying about having to race home to get to work. But I have to say that when I’m driving to work in the early morning and I see runners outside enjoying the morning air… I’ve really missed it.

So — guess what I did this morning for the first time since moving back to DC? An early morning run!

And it was awesome. This week and last week the RD I’ve been working with at the hospital is one who comes in later and leaves later, so I’ve been going in closer to 8 or 8:30 instead of at 7. Since I’ve been in the routine of evening workouts I’ve just been enjoying the opportunity to sleep in a little (“sleep in” meaning until 6:30 — kind of sad I consider that sleeping in nowadays), but a few days ago me and Matt’s friend Thomas was talking about how he’s been getting into morning runs and asked if we wanted to join him for one. Sounded good to me! I love doing Crossfit at night, but running has been hard in this crazy heat. The morning air was just what I needed to get my running mojo back.

Matt had second thoughts on the whole thing when our alarm went off this morning (he’s NOT a morning person), so Thomas and I headed out on our own. It was a great workout and we chatted away the whole time so it flew by. Tom is also a really fast runner so it’s good motivation to speed up! This was slow for him but good for me, especially given we did a pretty hilly route.

Splits:

• Mile 1: 8:22
  • Mile 2: 8:44
  • Mile 3: 8:23
  • Mile 4: 8:28
  • Mile 5: 7:57 (!) — and this included the final 0.5 mile run home by myself — apparently I was moving!

Totals: 5.06 miles, 42:19 minutes, average pace of 8:22. Awesome workout! I’d forgotten how great it feels to have it be 7 a.m. and already have your workout out of the way.

And now, off to work — have a wonderful day, friends!

Are you a morning or evening exerciser? Why?

Comments

Great going on your run, Anne! I’m normally a morning exerciser but do enjoy the occasional evening session- I’m all about efficiency but sometimes it’s nice to workout without worrying that I’m going to be late for work! Today sleep trumped exercise so I’m heading to the gym after work…great way to burn off some steam :)!

Kelly @ My Love Affair with Running says:

I loveee morning workouts! I too get jealous seeing runners out early when I am off to work.. But my workout schedule depends upon my work schedule. So when I am teaching and finish early in the day it makes sense to workout in the afternoons. Always does take extra motivation when it has been a long day!

I love those days when running comes so easy! I feel much better working out in the mornings, but sometimes I just can’t make that happen either. Way to speed through!!

I do morning workouts on the weekend but I have to do them during the day throughout the week. I am already waking up at 4:50 to get to work on weekdays and there is NO WAY I’m waking up earlier than that to get in a workout.

I love to work out in the morning, but I’m like you, early morning work start (6:30, bleh). So I only get to enjoy it on the weekends.

The morning in DC are my favorite time of day. I run around 545 am and just love it. Moving to Dc was a huge change but running has helped me adjust.

I do some weight training or yoga in the mornings at home and then get in some cardio, running, spinning…in the evenings. It’s just what my schedule allows for though when I’m off work loving getting it all in in the morning!

Anna Marie says:

I did a morning workout for the first time in awhile and it felt WONDERFUL! Definitely something I want to get back into doing on a regular basis. I have been doing Turbofire so I just pushed play and rocked out to that this morning! Work outs already being done before 7 AM are definitely a win!

I definitely prefer working out in the morning too. Unfortunately, just like you, my full time summer job at a law office has made that not possible unless I get up at an insane hour. I’m starting grad school for my MPH next month and I am really looking forward to morning workouts again! I hope my classes aren’t too early!

Definitely morning! It has to be REALLY fun and a group atmosphere for me to enjoy it after work – though recently CrossFit has been doing that! I love runs in the morning and CrossFit after work

It’s so nice to have that feeling with being done with your workout. The only hard part is waking up for it!

Lauren T says:

I started this summer being a morning runner, and was enjoying it especially because it meant I would avoid the horrible heat later in the day. I just joined a gym though and so it’s a lot easier to push my workouts back to after work. I need to get back into early morning workouts though because that’s what I’ll have to do when classes start back up for me in a few weeks.
    P.S. I made your Mexican Lasagna last night, and even though my oven cooks weird it turned out really good! I’ll be enjoying that for the rest of the week :)

I love morning workouts! I like to get my day started off right and it puts me in a good mood and gives me so much energy for the day!

Mary Sorenson-Matheson says:

I am a morning workout girl. When I work out in the mornings I feel good all day long. I also eat healthier.
    If I have to work out after work, I will workout with the WII Zumba (that way I don’t have to drive anywhere).

Love my morning exercise – I’d rather get it done first thing than have to worry about it the rest of the day. Plus if drinks or hanging out with friends comes up last minute, I don’t have to feel guilty about missing or cutting back on my workout.

I did a morning run too! Just like our good ol’ Thurday morning runs minus not being together. You’re getting quite speedy! Have you been doing any track work or just cross fit? Miss your face!
    XOXO

I’m so impressed by your speedy time!

I’m definitely NOT a morning workout fan. During the school year I usually don’t get my runs in until well after 7:30. I’m always so sluggish in the mornings, even if I give myself time to try to wake up first.

Good job on your Run!!!

I prefer to exercise in the late morning, even though my day starts very early.
    I like getting my work/research done before I Run at noon – it’s my favorite way to decompress!

Adventurer says:

Morning workouts are awesome; they start the day right, they get the workout out of the way, and they’re done before the heat descends. Hat’s off! Most impressive… You CAN be a morning person!

Ennaryra says:

I used to be a morning runner, but I switched to evenings back in May and now I really love them. They’re a great way for me to de-stress at the end of the day. Plus, I get to shower and hop in my pjs. :-) I’ll have to switch back as we lose daylight, but right now, I’ll stick to my sunset runs.