These Banana Spelt Muffins are delicious and very nutritious! They are nice and moist thanks to the bananas, milk, and yogurt, and healthy fat is added in the form of ground flaxseed instead of butter or oil. The spelt flour makes them nice and doughy, too, as well as higher in fiber. I’ve also decreased the amount of sugar normally found in muffins, but I promise they still taste good!
- 2 C spelt flour
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C finely ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 C skim milk
- 1/2 C plain (or vanilla) Greek yogurt
- Optional add ins: 1/2 C each of: walnuts, raisins, blueberries, dark chocolate chips, etc.!
- Preheat oven to 300 (spelt bakes more quickly than regular flour!).
- In two large bowls, separately mix dry (flour, sugar, flax, cinnamon, baking powder/soda, salt) and wet (bananas, milk, yogurt, add-ins) ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring until mixed.
- Spoon into a cooking-sprayed or nonstick muffin pan. Top each muffin with a sprinkle of raw oats so they look pretty 😉
- Pop them in the oven! Bake for 20 to 25 minutes — fork check to make sure they are done.