These healthy Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins are probably my most favorite muffins, ever.
They are really moist, sweet but without much added sugar, and contain lots of nutritional power from the whole wheat pastry flour, walnuts, raisins, carrots, and applesauce. Yum!
With this recipe, carrot cake is no longer just a dessert. It’s also a nutritious, portable breakfast or snack!
The addition of the applesauce keeps the cake moist, and the walnuts add an extra crunch.
The shredded carrot, whole wheat pastry flour, and raisins kick up the nutritional value even more, and a little brown sugar and spices round it out with some sweetness.
These muffins are moist without being mushy, and oh-so-delicious.
For all you non-bakers out there, don’t worry: this recipe is super easy. Just combine the ingredients in a bowl, mix, pour into a muffin tin, and bake!
The full recipe is below. Enjoy!
- 1 & 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour (not regular WW flour)
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/4 C chopped walnuts
- 1/4 C raisins
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 & 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1 C shredded carrot (about 1 large carrot or 16 baby carrots worth)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In two separate bowls, mix dry, then wet, and then combine, adding wet to dry and stirring gently until the mixture is uniform-ish. The batter will be pretty wet because of all the applesauce — don’t worry.
- Spoon the mixture into a non-stick or sprayed muffin pan. Bake 25 minutes — fork check near end to make sure they are done!
Serving Size:1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115Total Fat: 2gCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2.5gProtein: 2g
Not vegan? These also pair well with a couple hard boiled eggs, a whole milk latte, or some Greek yogurt or cottage cheese. Enjoy! 🙂
Love vegan baked goods? Here are some others to try: