These cherry chocolate overnight oats with crunchy almonds are a breakfast dream. This almost feels like a luxurious dessert, but it’s actually quite nutritious! Not to mention quick and easy to make. 🙂
Just mix everything together the night before, then refrigerate and add the toppings in the morning. Voila! Breakfast is served.
Chocolate Overnight Oats with Almonds & Cherries
Cherry and chocolate are a traditional flavor combination for a reason: the sweetness and tartness of the cherries compliments the richness of the chocolate. And the slivered almonds here add a wonderful crunch.
These cherry chocolate overnight oats make a great breakfast any day of the week or time of year, but they’d be especially fun for Valentine’s Day, just sayin’! Or you could go decadent and try my Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies…
This is a great breakfast option when you’re looking for something a little out of the ordinary, but still delicious just the same! It’s got a juicy, crunchy, and creamy texture all in one jar. And the simplicity of overnight oats makes it a perfect easy make-ahead recipe.
Looking for more oatmeal recipe inspiration? Here are more delicious overnight oats recipes! You may especially enjoy my Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats with Banana or Chocolate Strawberry Oatmeal.
Cherry Chocolate Overnight Oats Ingredients
For this recipe, you’ll need:
- rolled oats
- milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- ground flaxseed
- cherries (I used dark-sweet frozen cherries, but you can use whichever type you prefer, fresh (pitted) or frozen! Just be aware that some types of cherries will be more tart than others.)
- chocolate chips
- sliced almonds
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
- maple syrup (or honey)
Now, let’s talk about how to make cherry chocolate overnight oats!
Step 1: Make the overnight oats base.
Start by making basic overnight oats: combine rolled oats (gluten free if necessary), milk (dairy or non-dairy works, but I recommend whole milk for the creamiest taste plus protein), and ground flax.
Stir well (or shake if using a jar).
Step 2: Flavor/sweeten with cocoa powder, vanilla, and maple syrup.
Next is flavoring and sweetening the oats! Add in cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and maple syrup and mix well.
Recipe Variation: Leaving Out the Cocoa Powder
If you don’t have cocoa powder, never fear! These oats are just as tasty without it – they just won’t be quite as chocolate-y.
Step 3: Add toppings: cherries, almonds, and chocolate chips.
Add sliced almonds, chocolate chips, and cherries (frozen or fresh are both fine, just make sure they are pitted of course).
You can also add chia seeds if desired to add a nutritional bonus – just be sure to add more liquid if you do. This gives your oats more of a pudding consistency because the chia seeds will soak up some of the liquid and plump up!
Step 4: Refrigerate your oats overnight, then enjoy!
Cover and refrigerate the oats for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight. This gives the oats a chance to soak up the milk and soften, and the flavors to mix together.
And that’s it! Your delicious breakfast in a jar is ready to eat. 🙂
You’ll find the full cherry chocolate overnight oats recipe at the end of the post. Enjoy!
What’s a favorite breakfast you make again and again? Let me know in the comments!
If you like oatmeal, here are some more delicious oatmeal recipes to try:
- Mango Overnight Oats with Coconut
- Almond Milk Overnight Oats with Berries
- Healthy Oatmeal Recipes
- Perfect Microwave Banana Oatmeal Recipe
- How To Make Oatmeal Taste Better (and More Filling!)
- High Protein Oatmeal Recipe (How to Make Stovetop Oatmeal with Eggs)
- Savory Oatmeal Recipe
- Simple Baked Oatmeal Recipe
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (certified GF if needed)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3/4 cup milk (dairy or unsweetened non-dairy)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Handful of dark/sweet cherries
- Handful of sliced almonds
- Handful of chocolate chips
- Combine oats, flax, milk, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and maple syrup in a one-pint jar (or bowl). Screw on the lid, and shake.
- Next, add cherries, chocolate chips, and almonds. Stir until mixed in.
- Put the lid back on or cover, and refrigerate overnight (or at least 3-4 hours). Enjoy!
Fresh or frozen cherries are both fine here - frozen cherries should thaw overnight in the refrigerator.