These healthy mashed potatoes with cauliflower taste like normal mashed potatoes, but the nutrition is amped up with cauliflower and beans!
This fiber and protein-packed recipe is perfect anytime — whether for a big holiday dinner party or a quick weeknight meal. And no one will taste the difference.
Potato Cauliflower Mash
This healthier and more nutritious take on mashed potatoes is surprisingly simple! It’s super flavorful, without the need for mounds of butter.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- fresh rosemary (or dried)
- canned white beans
- garlic powder
- salt & pepper
Here’s another delicious side dish with potatoes you should try: crispy roasted mini potatoes!
How to Make Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower
This recipe comes together quickly. Start by slicing the potatoes and cauliflower into small pieces. Then, boil (along with the rosemary, salt, and pepper) until soft.
Drain and let cool for a few minutes. Next, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl (including garlic powder and more rosemary, salt, and pepper), and blend until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
I used an immersion blender, but you can also mash by hand with a potato masher, or use an actual blender.
Serve warm and enjoy. 🙂 You can make this a day ahead and simply reheat and serve the day of to save time and kitchen space, too.
The full mashed potatoes with cauliflower recipe is at the bottom of this post.
If you’re looking for more holiday-friendly dishes, check out this blog post: Best Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes. You may especially be interested in my Savory Sweet Potato Casserole for another potato-based savory side dish option that’s nutritious as well as delicious!
One more post to check out: How to Have a Stress-Free Holiday Eating Experience.
I hope you enjoy the recipe! Let me know how you like it. And if you have lots of leftover mashed potatoes on hand, try my Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes!
Looking for more holiday-inspired recipes? Check these out:
- Leftover Turkey and Wheat Berry Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette
- Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
- Healthy Mashed Potatoes
- Spiced Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Savory Cranberry Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- Vegan Cranberry Quinoa Salad
Looking for more on this topic? Here’s a post from a fellow dietitian food blogger that might be useful: Mashed Cauliflower vs. Mashed Potatoes.
Healthy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
These Healthy Mashed Potatoes taste like normal mashed potatoes, but the nutrition is amped up with cauliflower and beans! This fiber and protein-packed recipe is perfect anytime — whether for a big holiday dinner party or a quick weeknight meal.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 4 medium/large potatoes, or an equal amount smaller sized
- Fresh or dried rosemary
- 1 15 oz. can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Slice potatoes into small pieces, chop cauliflower. Put in a large pot full of boiling water; add in a couple sprigs fresh (or a few shakes dry) rosemary and a pinch of salt and pepper. Boil until soft.
- Drain potatoes and cauliflower; let cool for a few minutes. In a large bowl, use an immersion blender (or mash by hand, or use a blender) to blend together potatoes, cauliflower, and beans.
- Add the garlic powder, a few more shakes of dried rosemary, salt and pepper to taste. Mix and enjoy! Serve warm.