This super refreshing and creamy watermelon rind smoothie features summer fruit and fresh mint. It’s a must-try healthy snack or breakfast smoothie!
Plus, this is a fabulous way to use leftover watermelon rind. If you haven’t tried watermelon rind in smoothies yet, do it – it will be your new favorite because it freezes beautifully, and works even better than ice in smoothies!
Plus, I’m all about using the whole watermelon for less waste!
Watermelon Rind Smoothie with Summer Fruit
Hot weather has me craving all the juicy summer fruit lately, so this smoothie – packed with watermelon (the flesh + the white rind), strawberries, peaches, and bananas – is exactly what I needed.
It’s super creamy and flavorful. Perfect for cooling you down on a hot day!
What does watermelon rind taste like?
Watermelon rind has a really mild and refreshing flavor.
Here’s what you’ll need for this summer fruit smoothie:
- fresh or frozen watermelon flesh cubes & frozen watermelon rind cubes (instructions for how to freeze are below!)
fresh or frozen strawberries
fresh or frozen peach slices
fresh or frozen banana
fresh mint leaves
hemp seeds (or flax seeds, protein powder, nut butter, etc.)
milk (this can be dairy or nondairy, or you can replace this with coconut water)
Of course, this is a really versatile recipe! Most fruit would be tasty here, including pineapple, mango, and/or other berries.
You might also like this watermelon lime mojito sorbet!
How to Freeze Watermelon Rind
How to Make a Smoothie with Watermelon Rind
Because the frozen watermelon and watermelon rind are used in place of ice, it creates a deliciously thick and frothy smoothie. Pour, garnish (if desired), and enjoy!
You can easily swap out your favorite fruits (or veggies) in this recipe! Here are some ingredients that would taste delicious here:
- frozen riced cauliflower (you won’t even notice it!)
- berries: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.
Using Watermelon Rind in Other Smoothie Recipes
If you’re just adding frozen watermelon rind cubes to a different smoothie recipe, I would suggest either adding them in place of ice cubes or substituting them for up to 1/3 of the fruit. (This will ensure the smoothie still has enough flavor/sweetness from other fruits.)
- Chicken Gyros with Watermelon Rind Tzatziki
- Watermelon Rind Coleslaw
- Watermelon Rind Gazpacho
- Vegan Tofu Curry with Watermelon Rind
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen watermelon flesh cubes
- 1/2 cup frozen watermelon rind cubes*
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peach slices
- 1 small fresh or frozen banana
- 2-3 fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds (or flax seeds, protein powder, nut butter, etc.)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups milk (dairy or nondairy) or coconut water
- Combine all ingredients in a high power blender..
- Turn the blender on low speed, then gradually increase speed to high. Blend for 30-60 seconds, until completely smooth, using a tamper tool to ensure even blending if needed.
*To freeze watermelon flesh and watermelon rind: Slice into cubes, then spread them out on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan or wide container. Make sure they aren't touching or packed too tightly (so they won't freeze together). After a few hours, they should be fully frozen. Transfer cubes to an airtight container in the freezer for storage.