This apple cabbage slaw is a refreshing, bright, and filling twist on traditional slaw!
It makes a great side or light lunch, and has been a fun way for me to connect with my heritage through food.
I’m excited to share this recipe with you all today – not only because slaw is one of my favorite foods (that vinegar tang + CRUNCH = perfection), but also because this recipe was inspired based on my family’s geographic origins!
I have a lot of ancestors from western Europe, and I’ve always been a big fan of cabbage.
I love quintessentially German red cabbage, but that felt a little heavy for summer, so I decided a red cabbage slaw would be a better fit for August instead. And here we are!
White Bean Apple Slaw with Cider Vinaigrette
This recipe is so easy, and I love all the textures, colors, and fresh flavor. There is more protein and fat in this slaw compared to a traditional slaw, thanks to the sunflower seeds and white beans.
So you can even make this a (very) light lunch, although it also makes a fabulous side for summer BBQs as well!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this apple cabbage slaw:
- green apples
- red cabbage
- red onion
- white beans (cannellini beans are usually the easiest to find!)
- sunflower seeds (for a delicious crunch)
- apple cider vinegar
- olive oil
- dijon mustard
Have extra apples? You might also enjoy this apple cinnamon oatmeal!
This slaw still tastes very European-inspired, but it’s much lighter than braised cabbage/bean dishes. It will also hold up well in the fridge for a few days, so this is a nice make-ahead packed lunch option as well!
How to Make Cabbage Apple Slaw
This dish is super simple. Just gather your ingredients, chop up the apples and red onion, then combine it all in a large bowl.
Separately, combine all the apple cider vinaigrette ingredients in a jar, shake well (or stir), then toss with the slaw. Serve right away, or wait to add the dressing until ready to serve!
It’s crunchy and tangy, packed with textures, and so dang easy to make! No cooking required, either. You really can’t go wrong with this one. 🙂
You’ll find the full apple cabbage slaw recipe at the bottom of this post. Enjoy!
Looking for more easy and tasty side dishes? Check these out:
- Lemony Quinoa Salad with Spinach
- Crunchy Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Mediterranean Bulgur Salad with Lemon Mint Vinaigrette
- Watermelon Rind Coleslaw
- Cranberry Pecan Quinoa Salad
Do you know where your ancestors come from? What are some dishes that you enjoy that help connect you to your ancestral roots?
- 1 small head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 granny smith apple, finely chopped
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Combine the cabbage, onion, apple, white beans, parsley, dill, and sunflower seeds in a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl or jar, whisk or shake the olive oil, vinegar, honey, mustard, and a pinch of salt and pepper until combined.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the slaw ingredients and toss to coat.