Last night, I decided to get creative. Post-wisdom teeth Matt was in need of something soft and nutritious but tasty for dinner. Enter: Healthy Mashed Potatoes!
These taste like normal mashed potatoes, but there are a few secret ingredients. Not only is the nutrition amped up with equal parts mashed cauliflower (you seriously don’t even taste it), but there’s also added protein and fiber from a can of cannellini beans, too! I promise you don’t taste those, either. Matt couldn’t figure out what the secret ingredient was when I asked him!
Matt gave them two thumbs up. His comment? “They taste like normal mashed potatoes.” Win.
Healthy Mashed Potatoes
(Serves 6 to 8 as a side)
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 4 medium/large potatoes, or an equal amount smaller sized
- Fresh or dried rosemary
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional variation: 1/2 C skim/low fat milk
1) Slice potatoes into small pieces, chop cauliflower. Put in a large pot full of boiling water; add in a couple sprigs fresh (or a few shakes dry) rosemary and a pinch of salt and pepper. Boil until soft.
2) Drain potatoes and cauliflower; let cool for a few minutes. In a large bowl, use an immersion blender (or mash by hand, or use a blender) to blend together potatoes, cauliflower, and beans.
3) Add the garlic powder, a few more shakes of dried rosemary, salt and pepper to taste, and milk, if desired. Mix and enjoy! Serve warm.
I busted out my immersion blender for the occasion.
This thing still terrifies me. I had images of mashed potatoes on the ceiling (and all over myself).
I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and…
What do you know… it worked perfectly! It took me a minute flat to blend everything. So easy and awesome. I need to use this thing more often!
And since I knew you all would ask (and I was curious myself), I went ahead and calculated the nutritional stats for this recipe (not including the optional milk).
When broken into 7 servings, each serving contains:
- 211 calories, 0.6g fat, 44g carbs, 9.3g fiber, 47mg sodium, 0.9g sugar, 10.3g protein. Not too shabby! Lots of fiber and protein, and it’s also very high in potassium, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, and more.
I know it’s not exactly mashed potato weather outside right now, but these would be perfect alongside some BBQ and corn on the cob! Or, you could always bookmark it to save for winter
I’m officially on my summer break now! Today will be filled with packing, cleaning, organizing, etc., because Matt and I are headed to the beach tomorrow for the weekend! Saturday is his birthday so we wanted to do a fun getaway He’s feeling better today so we’re hoping that he’ll be okay for the weekend. We planned this trip ages ago and unfortunately, this Tuesday was pretty much the only option for getting his wisdom teeth out or else we would have waited!
I also have plans to bake some Whole Wheat Zesty Lemon Zucchini Muffins today — they will be perfect to bring with us to the beach (and to use up the mass amounts of zucchini in my fridge from the garden at work)!
Have a great Thursday!