These taste like normal mashed potatoes, but the nutrition is amped up with mashed cauliflower and cannellini beans, too! This recipe is perfect anytime — whether for a big holiday dinner party or a quick weeknight meal.
Healthy Mashed Potatoes
(Serves 6 to 8 as a side)
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 4 medium/large potatoes, or an equal amount smaller sized
- Fresh or dried rosemary
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional variation: 1/2 C skim/low fat milk
1) Slice potatoes into small pieces, chop cauliflower. Put in a large pot full of boiling water; add in a couple sprigs fresh (or a few shakes dry) rosemary and a pinch of salt and pepper. Boil until soft.
2) Drain potatoes and cauliflower; let cool for a few minutes. In a large bowl, use an immersion blender (or mash by hand, or use a blender) to blend together potatoes, cauliflower, and beans.
3) Add the garlic powder, a few more shakes of dried rosemary, salt and pepper to taste, and milk, if desired. Mix and enjoy! Serve warm.
When broken into 7 servings, each serving contains:
- 211 calories, 0.6g fat, 44g carbs, 9.3g fiber, 47mg sodium, 0.9g sugar, 10.3g protein. Not too shabby! Lots of fiber and protein, and it’s also very high in potassium, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, and more.
Check out the original post with lots more photos/commentary: Healthy Mashed Potatoes Recipe.