Over the past couple years, I’ve been slowly working to transition to more natural versions of the chemical-tastic beauty products I was using before. It’s been pretty expensive and has required a lot of trial and error, so now that I have finally found a good new routine, I thought it would be interesting and hopefully helpful to share. Like with healthy eating, I’m not aiming for perfection here – if I’m traveling or out and about, no worries about using whatever product is already available. But I figure at home, it makes sense to switch to more natural, less toxic solutions since I’m using the stuff so often. Here are the best natural and organic beauty products that I’ve found so far, separated into body, sunscreen, face, makeup/lips, teeth, and hair. Just an FYI that some affiliate links are included. Also, I can’t promise that all of these products are 100% perfect/pure – but they are certainly better than the products I used to use, and that’s all I was going for. 🙂
If you’re looking to switch to more natural products, don’t stress yourself out by trying to switch everything at once (just like I don’t recommend trying to change your lifestyle all at once, either). Just pick a couple new products, then pick another couple once the old products you had run out, and so forth – little changes add up! I recommend starting with some of the things you use most often – like body lotion, deodorant, toothpaste, and lip balm, but do whatever works for you. See the end of this post for some resources on how to find out if what you’re using is safe/what ingredients to avoid.
- Body Lotion: Avalon Organics Hand & Body Lotion (lavender) – this stuff is wonderful and I use it every day after I shower. Smells nice and absorbs quickly without leaving you greasy. Body lotion was the first thing I changed when I started to swap out my products, considering I use it every day and all over my body! Another great and super easy body lotion swap is to just use an organic coconut oil!
- Shaving: There are two I really like. At home I use the Avalon Organics Moisturizing Cream Shave (aloe unscented). When traveling, I use the Kiss My Face moisture shave, simply because it’s more of a travel size. Both are great!
- Body Wash: I love both the pictured Avalon Organics Bath & Shower Gel (olive & grapeseed) as well as (unpictured) JASON lavender body wash.
- Deodorant: This was probably the hardest thing to switch to a natural variation – I tried SO MANY natural deodorants that didn’t work before finding this one, Organic Island Deodorant with probiotics, which is awesome. Finally! It’s not an antiperspirant like chemical deodorants are, so you will sweat a little (which is normal/natural!), but you won’t smell at all. It’s unscented, goes on clear, and it doesn’t come off on or stain clothes, either, like some of the other ones I tried. Summer running tested and approved!
- Body Sunscreen: This was another thing that was really hard to switch/find a good natural version of because so many of the natural/non-toxic sunscreens make you white as a ghost and don’t rub in well. My favorite that I’ve found is the Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Mist (SPF 30). It doesn’t spray on totally clear – you spray it on and then rub it in a bit – but it rubs in well and I also love that the container lasts for a really long time. With a lot of the spray sunscreens I feel like you use it for one day and it’s already empty! They also have a spray sunscreen travel size option which is nice for trips or for your purse/bag.
- Face sunscreen lotion: If you’d prefer a lotion sunscreen or are looking for something for your face, the Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Lotion (SPF 30) is also great, and it also has a travel size option.
Face Wash: If you have rosacea or sensitive skin like me, I highly recommend the Josh Rosebrook Moisturizing Cleanser. I use it in the evenings before bed and in the morning I just splash my face with water.
Face Moisturizer: The First Aid Ultra Repair Cream has also been a game changer/really made my face happier. I was having a lot of problems with dryness and this fixed it! I put this stuff on after washing my face at night and in the morning after splashing my face with water.
Eye Makeup Remover: I originally bought this Elsen Oils Coconut + Avocado Oil as a potentially moisturizer, but ended up liking it more as an eye makeup remover. It’s gentle and works really well, and coconut oil and avocado oil are literally the only two ingredients. Also, it’s unscented – I tried using pure coconut oil for awhile instead, but the smell bothered me when I was smelling it all day. The owner is also a DC area local – she’s up in MD. I found this product when she was sampling it last year at my local Whole Foods!
- Lip Balm: This was one of the first things I changed because I found out my old lip balm had artificial food dye in it and it was something I was using all day every day (and probably unintentionally eating/swallowing a lot of). It was SO HARD to switch but I finally found some good ones. For an SPF version with a fun cherry flavor, I love the Alba Un-Petroleum SPF 18 Lip Balm. For a regular non-SPF variety, I love Eco Lips Kiwi Strawberry – I literally have one of these in each of my purses/backpacks.
- Lipstick/Lip Tint: This is where I sound like a real hippie – I love the Hemp Organics line – the Hemp Organics Lip Tint and Hemp Organics Lipstick (for more serious nights out/weddings) are both great.
- Mascara: It took awhile to find a good natural mascara, but the 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Mascara is awesome. No clumping, smudging, or flaking, and it’s easy to take off, too.
- Tinted SPF Moisturizer: In the mornings, after putting on the repair cream I mentioned above, I use this Ilia Sheer Vivid Tinted Moisturizer –SPF 20. It does a really nice job of evening out my skin tone (and providing some sun protection) but it’s not greasy or heavy at all.
- Eye Shadow: Love the Pacifica Natural Mineral Eye Shadow Palette, and the RMS Beauty Eye Polish (shimmery cream instead of powder).
- Eyeliner: Again, I love the Hemp Organics line of beauty products, and their eyeliner is great. I couldn’t find it online but I buy it at Whole Foods.
- Toothpaste: If you change anything after reading this post, change your toothpaste. Regular toothpaste is basically garbage and doing nothing to help your teeth/gums (see the comment section for more on why mainstream toothpaste ingredients aren’t great). I like the JASON Sea Fresh Toothpaste in Deep Sea Spearmint for travel (smaller size) and the Desert Essence Natural Tea Tree Oil Toothpaste in Mint when at home.
- Floss: The Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Dental Tape is my go to; tea tree oil has great natural antibacterial/antifungal properties.
- Shampoo and Conditioner: I don’t use any product on my hair besides shampoo and conditioner, and I alternate between the two brands shown above for both. I have really dry, thick, wavy hair, so these are great for keeping my hair moisturized without weighing it down, and for keeping my scalp from getting too dry, too. My faves: Mineral Fusion Hair Repair Shampoo and Mineral Fusion Hair Repair Conditioner, and if my hair/scalp are especially dry I use Sage Shampoo & Sage Conditioner from Maple Holistics.
Have you swapped out any of your beauty/personal care products for more natural variations? Please feel free to share your faves in the comments, too – this is certainly still a work in progress for me as well! I’d also love to hear your favorite natural home/cleaning products – that’s something we’re just starting to switch up now, and would love some recs.
Here is a useful resource if you’re looking to swap out your beauty products for more natural versions:
- Environmental Working Group (EWG) Skin Deep Database – this is a wonderful resource for finding which products are the safest/least toxic. Just search for the ones you use now (or are looking to switch to) and see how they stack up! This website will also give you more information on what ingredients specifically to avoid – their “Top Tips for Safer Products” page is really helpful.