Breakfast burritos are a staple in our household – and not just because they’re easy to prep in large quantities and freeze for later (though that helps)!
These egg and sausage burritos with roasted potatoes and veggies are totally delicious, easy to make, and will keep you fueled throughout your morning.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, I'll send you great content every week!
You might also like these breakfast meal prep ideas!
Sausage Breakfast Burritos with Potatoes
I love the combination of ingredients here: creamy scrambled eggs, roasted veggies and potatoes, crumbled sausage, and melty cheese.
This is a really versatile recipe, too – you can switch up the ingredients as much as you want.
I’ve included instructions below on how to make these sausage burritos ahead of time and freeze for later – plus how to reheat them when you’re ready to eat.
It’s so nice having them on hand whenever you’re short on time in the morning (or craving a filling, savory breakfast – or, in my case, second breakfast because I always want two breakfasts). 🙂
To make these sausage breakfast burritos, you’ll need:
- sausage (I used ground chicken sausage here, but you can use pretty much any type: breakfast sausage, pre-cooked sausage links, etc. should all work)
- tortillas (I like sprouted grain or whole wheat)
- shredded cheddar cheese (or you can grate any type of cheese you have on hand, such as pepper jack)
- vegetables (You can use leftover roasted veggies, or roast any combination you like. I used onions, peppers, and zucchini here.)
You can also add extra toppings right before you eat, such as avocado, mixed greens, diced tomatoes, and/or salsa.
Either way, you’re in for a breakfast treat!
You might also enjoy this caprese breakfast egg sandwich!
How to Make Breakfast Burritos with Sausage
Making these egg burritos is simple!
Start by cutting and roasting the vegetables. Or, use leftover roasted vegetables if you already have some on hand.
For heartier veggies like potatoes, carrots, or squash, you’ll want to toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then roast them on a sheet pan at 400 degrees F for about 25 minutes (until tender).
Most other veggies should only need about 15 minutes of roasting time at 400 degrees.
Next, cook your sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat until browned and cooked through. Set aside. (Be sure to drain any extra fat from the sausage before the next step).
Then, cook your scrambled eggs in the same skillet, on low heat, until done to your liking.
Place tortillas on plates or a clean surface, then fill with a large spoonful of eggs (I like the equivalent of 1 to 1 & 1/2 eggs per burrito).
Add some roasted potatoes, veggies, sausage, and a sprinkle of cheese, then wrap the tortillas burrito-style.
If you’re planning to microwave your burritos, wrap them individually in a paper towel and either foil or plastic wrap over it, and place in a zippable bag in the fridge or freezer.
If you’re going to reheat in the oven instead, then do the same but with foil instead of a paper towel. If you wrap them tightly, these breakfast burritos will keep in the freezer for at least a month.
As for other toppings (like salsa and avocado), I recommend waiting to add those until you’re ready to eat (after you’ve reheated the burrito).
Frozen Burrito Reheating Instructions
To reheat burritos in an oven or toaster oven:
If using this method, I highly recommend thawing your frozen burrito in the fridge overnight the day before you cook it. Otherwise, it could take a long time for the burrito to thaw and heat all the way through in the oven.
I hope you love these as much as we do! The grab-and-go breakfast ease is a game changer, especially with the quick microwave cooking method.
You’ll find the full egg & sausage burrito recipe at the end of this post. Enjoy!
Looking for more make-ahead breakfast ideas? You might like:
- Make Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches with Veggies
- Easy Overnight Oats – Six Ways
- Ginger Pear Muffins with Honey
- Healthy Egg Muffins with Veggies
- Sweet Potato Muffins with Coconut
- Healthy Banana Baked Oatmeal
- 1/2 lb sausage
- 4 to 6 large eggs (depending how egg-packed you want the burritos)
- 1 potato (or 8-10 baby potatoes)
- 1 cup of additional veggies (bell pepper, zucchini, onion, etc.)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 whole wheat flour tortillas
- Optional toppings: salsa, avocado, greens, etc.
- Chop potatoes & veggies into small pieces. Roast potato chunks on a sheet pan for 25 minutes at 400 degrees F (or until tender) with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Roast the rest of your vegetables for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Meanwhile, cook your sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat until browned and cooked through. Drain excess fat and set aside.
- Next, scramble eggs in the same skillet (on low heat) until done to your liking.
- Lay out a tortilla and fill the center of each with equal amounts of eggs, potato, veggies, and sausage. Sprinkle with cheese.
- If eating right away, add desired toppings (like salsa and avocado), then wrap the tortilla burrito-style. If prepping for later, wait to add fresh toppings until after you've reheated the burrito.
- (For meal prep: if you're planning to microwave your burrito, wrap in a paper towel and either foil or plastic wrap over it, and place in zippable bag in the fridge or freezer. If planning to reheat in the oven, do the same but with foil only - no plastic wrap or paper towel.)
Hearty veggies like carrots or squash should be roasted with the potatoes, because they'll need a longer cooking time than other veggies.
*If saving or freezing burritos for later, see microwave and oven reheating instructions in the post above.