With the New Year well under way, many people have begun working on New Year’s resolutions to make healthy changes. While I’m a fan of making a commitment to health, resolutions often focus on what to say “no” to – no sugar, no gluten, no alcohol, etc. – leaving you feeling deprived and making eating feel like a chore rather than a joy. This year, instead of focusing on what to say no to, instead emphasize what can be added to your diet for good health, for example: adding in more veggies, protein, and whole grains at breakfast. These Make-Ahead Veggie Egg Sandwiches, made in partnership with my friends at ALDI, check all the boxes! They’re also easily prepped in advance for a week of healthy breakfasts, making them a great place to start when adding healthy but realistic changes to your life. Cook once then simply grab and go!
I’ve written about my approach of adding healthy changes rather than subtracting foods before, and one of my favorite recommendations for a change to start with is eating a breakfast that combines protein, whole grains, healthy fats, and produce. Eating only carbs for breakfast (like toast with jam or oatmeal cooked in water) is a recipe for hunger and an energy crash by 10 am; rounding out your meal with protein and fat helps keep you full and satisfied. Egg sandwiches are one of my favorite balanced breakfasts – especially when they pack in extra veggies!
I love that these egg sandwiches don’t break your budget, either. They’re made with just 6 ingredients – all of which you can buy at ALDI. ALDI has been expanding their line of organic items recently, and it’s great to find healthy options like organic eggs, organic produce, and sprouted grain bread on their shelves, all for affordable prices. Here’s the ALDI store locator to find one near you!
Once you have your ingredients on hand, this recipe is just about as easy as you can get for a make-ahead meal. Layer veggies in a dish, pour eggs over top, and bake – that’s it!
If your goal for the New Year is to be more prepared with make-ahead meals, you’re in luck. I tested the best way to heat up these egg sandwiches throughout the week without soggy bread, because soggy bread is the worst, but taking ages to prepare breakfast on busy weekdays is also the worst, right?!
Here’s what I recommend: make the veggie-packed egg bake over the weekend; once cooked, pre-slice it into pieces that will fit your bread of choice and store it in the fridge. In the morning, simply microwave a slice of egg bake with a slice of cheese until hot and melty. In the meantime, toast your bread. Voila! In just about a minute, you can stack your egg and cheese on the toasted bread for a crispy, savory, gooey egg sandwich any day of the week. If you want to mix it up from the cheese, avocado would also be delicious here!
The egg bake is great served on its own, too, if you’d rather – and it is certainly pretty on its own with all the colorful veggies! Just be sure to grab some fruit or another carb to enjoy on the side so you have a balanced, satisfying meal.
Here’s the full recipe!
- 8 SimplyNature Organic Cage Free Brown Eggs
- 2 cups SimplyNature Baby Spinach & Arugula Mix
- 1 cup diced organic bell pepper
- 1/2 cup halved organic cherry tomatoes
- 8 slices SimplyNature Knock Your Sprouts Off Sprouted 7 Grain Bread
- 4 slices Happy Farms Deli Sliced Pepper Jack Cheese
- Stonemill Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 350 F. Spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer the baby spinach & arugula, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes in the baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pour the eggs over the vegetables and bake for 25-30 minutes, until firm to the touch in the center.
- Cut the egg bake into four slices and refrigerate for up to a week.
- When ready to serve, place a slice of the egg bake on a microwave-safe plate and top with a slice of cheese. Microwave for about 1 minute, until the eggs are hot and the cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, place two slices of bread in the toaster.
- Place the cheesy egg bake on one slice of toast, then top with the other slice of toast and enjoy!