Hello and happy Registered Dietitian Day!
A big shout out to my classmates from the MPH Nutrition department at UNC-Chapel Hill, most of whom by now have also taken and passed the RD exam! And a special shout out to my girls Elle and Maria, who I studied and took my exam with last month. 🙂
I wanted to share some love for a few of my favorite fellow RDs (and RD-related organizations) to follow on Twitter. Many of these women have helped me out as mentors (and intern supervisors!) or as sources of inspiration along the way in my journey to becoming an RD. Check them out!
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics – @EatRight
- Eat Right PRO – @EatRightPRO
- Food & Nutrition Magazine – @FoodNutriMag
- Nutrition Blog Network – @NutritionBlogs
- Nutrition News – @nutritionnews
- UNC Nutrition – @UNCNutrition
- Rebecca Scritchfield — @ScritchfieldRD
- Danielle Omar — @2eatwellRD
- Amanda Holliday – @AmandaSHolliday
- Jessica Oswald – @JessicaO_RD
- Alysa Bajenaru – @InspiredRD
- Regan Jones – @ReganJonesRD
- Carlene Thomas – @carleneRD
- Jennifer Regester – @eat_w_knowledge
- Kate Scarlata – @KateScarlata_RD
- Janel Funk – @DietitianJanel
- Elle Curtin – @nutritionella
- Heather Calcote – @heatherdcRD
- Katie Heddleston – @KatieHeddleston
- Heather – @sideofsneakers
- Lindsay – @LeanGrnBeanBlog (she’s an RD to be!)
I’m sure there are more I’m forgetting, but that should be enough to get you guys started for now. 😉
I celebrated RD Day this morning by making myself a fun breakfast – my Flour-Free & Protein Packed Breakfast Pancake!
Usually I eat it with fresh blueberries on top, but today I decided to get wild and crazy and drop the blueberries into the batter in the pan. I know, I’m really living on the edge here.
It came out awesome. 🙂
In other fun news, I tried a new yoga studio last night – Studio DC in Dupont Circle!
Although perhaps I should have gone to “Mimosa Salon” instead… that sounds awesome.
Gena has been raving about this studio and since we’ve been doing a bit of a tour of the yoga options in the area, it was next on our list. We met up for a 6:15 p.m. hot power yoga class and MAN it kicked my butt! Most of the classes I’ve been to lately (with the exception of Mark’s awesome classes at Edge Yoga) have been pretty low key, and this was quite a change. The combination of heat + a really fast flow meant I was literally drenched in sweat by the time the hour and 15 minute class was over. Win! I liked the studio, too – very pretty practice room, although I wish there was a locker room with showers, given the heat/sweating situation.
After yoga, Gena and I headed over to Sweetgreen for dinner, obvi. I decided to mix things up and made my own salad, which included:
mixed greens & spinach
crispy kale (e.g. baked kale – so good)
roasted sweet potatoes
fresh chopped basil (amazing on salads)
a fresh squeeze of lemon juice
Plus a piece of their yummy bread on the side.
As always, Gena and I had the best time chatting. We’ve been meeting up about once per week or every other week for a yoga + meal date and I love it. 🙂
I’m off to get back down to work – I have a couple freelance writing assignments to work on plus some follow up materials for an AnneTheRD client I spoke with this morning. Have a great day, friends!