Here’s a fun new recipe for you guys today: a No Bake Blueberry Custard Pie that is vegan & gluten free to boot!
This easy no-bake pie is perfect for summer – those days when you don’t want to heat up the oven but still want something that looks fancy. 😉
Have you ever made a vegan pie crust before? I love vegan pie crusts because they are so easy (and healthy – chock full of healthy fat!) to make and taste great, too. No baking required!
This one is made with raw almonds and walnuts, dates (to stick it all together!), and a little shredded coconut, too.
As for the creamy vanilla custard filling, it’s kept vegan by using almond milk.
Unsweetened vanilla almond milk (pictured – when this post was originally published wayyyyy back in 2014 it was sponsored by Almond Breeze, FYI) worked great here, but any flavor of almond milk would be fabulous, even coconut almond milk as this recipe already includes some coconut!
Another great thing about this recipe is that you can make it a day or two ahead up to the crust/filling steps (at which point it needs to be refrigerated anyway, for at least an hour).
Then all you have to do the day of is throw the jam/blueberry mixture on top. Easy!
Love recipes that don’t have you scrambling to do everything the day of.
Please find the full recipe below, at the end of the post. I hope you (and your guests) love it, too!
What’s your favorite pie recipe? Please feel free to share links!
By the way – this is a perfect red, white, and blue dessert! For more 4th of July recipe inspiration, check out these 4th of July appetizers & desserts.
For the crust
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
For the filling
- 2/3 cup vegan cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping
- 2 tablespoons blueberry (or other berry) jam
- 2 6-oz containers fresh blueberries (about 1 & 1/2 cups)
- In a food processor, process all the crust ingredients until finely ground.
- Press the crust mixture into a greased 9 inch pan with a removable bottom.* Set aside.
- In a medium pot, combine the sugar and cornstarch, whisking to remove any lumps. Whisk in the almond milk.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and cook until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and whisk vigorously until the mixture thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and whisk in the coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour the filling evenly into the crust, then let cool. Once cool, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. The pie can be prepared up to this step the day before serving.
- Warm the jam in the microwave for 30 seconds, until it is liquid.
- Spread the jam on the cooled filling using a spoon or spatula, then top with the fresh blueberries.
This recipe can also be made in a normal pie pan but the crust will hold together better in a pan with a removable bottom (e.g. a springform pan).