Braised Chicken with Potatoes, Lentils, Fennel, and Kale
Prep time: 20 minutes. Cook time: ~45 minutes
This healthy dish is perfect for a winter night when you want something warm and comforting but not heavy.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 to 4 chicken breasts (we just used one package worth)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 3/4 cup red wine (chicken broth would also work well)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large sprig of rosemary
- 1 cup potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1 cup sliced fennel bulb
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 tsp. salt (omit if using salty chicken broth instead of wine)
- 1 tsp. pepper
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2) Heat a large oven-safe pot with a lid over medium heat; pour in olive oil and place chicken in a single layer. Cook, turning once, about 10 minutes (or until browned).
3) Remove chicken and add onion, garlic, and mushrooms to the pot. Cook/stir about 3 minutes. Add wine, water, rosemary, potatoes, and lentils, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
4) Add chicken, fennel, kale, salt, and pepper. Cover pot and place in oven. Cook 30 minutes; then remove from oven, remove rosemary sprig, and enjoy! Add extra salt/pepper to taste, if desired.
Check out the original post with more photos/commentary: Braised Chicken with Potatoes, Lentils, Fennel, and Kale.