These 5 minute no bake peanut butter granola bars are not only delicious and nutritious, but they are also vegan, and, if you use gluten free certified oats and brown rice cereal, gluten free!
By far my most popular recipe ever posted on the blog, these bars are perfect for something healthy to grab while on the go — whether it be at work, school, or the great outdoors. See the end of this post for some fun (and cost saving) recipe modification ideas!
(makes about 12 bars)
Dry (use scant measurements):
- 1 & 3/4 C rolled oats
- 1 C crisp puffed brown rice cereal
- 1/4 C pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 C sunflower seeds
- 1/4 C chia seeds OR 1/8 C finely ground flaxseed (both optional)
- 1/4 C unsweetened coconut (optional)
Wet (use generous measurements):
- 1/2 C brown rice syrup
- 1/3 C creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
1) Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl. Mix them together.
2) In a separate (microwave safe) bowl, mix together the wet ingredients, then microwave them for about 20 to 30 seconds. This will make it easier to mix and add to the dry ingredients since it’s really sticky!
3) Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix! Keep mixing until the wet binding ingredients are as well distributed as possible. Put some muscle into it!
4) Put the mixture into a shallow pan and flatten it down. Place pan in fridge to let the bars chill/set.
5) After about 30 minutes in the fridge (or you can wait until the next day – whatever works), cut them into bars, then wrap them up in foil and store back in the fridge (or in the freezer!) for easy grabbing and go-ing! These bars make great gifts, too.
Nutritional stats (when cut into 12 bars and including all optional ingredients): 190 calories, 25g carbs, 4.5g fiber, 9g sugar, 6g protein.
Notes/modifications/cost saving ideas:
- Any kind of puffed cereal (brown rice, millet, etc.) will do — but my favorite is the Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal — it adds a nice crunch!
- Instead of peanut butter, try using another kind of nut butter. I also love this recipe with almond butter!
- The flaxseeds/chia seeds are tasty and nutritious (great healthy fat!), but unnecessary to the success of the bars – you can leave them out to save money. The vanilla extract and coconut are also tasty but can be left out with no problems.
- Roasted and salted pumpkin and sunflower seeds taste the best because of the salty/sweet contrast with the brown rice syrup.
- Dried fruit — cranberries, raisins, apricots, goji berries, etc. — is another tasty addition.
Love no bake snacks? Here are some others to try:
- Oatmeal Raisin Energy Bites (vegan, gluten free with gf oats)
- Chocolate Coconut Almond Balls (gluten free with gf oats)
- Cinnamon Raisin Almond Balls (vegan, gluten free – only 3 ingredients!)
- Salty Maple Nut Energy Bites (vegan, gluten free)
- Savory Curry Granola Bars (gluten free)
- Savory No Bake Honey Mustard Granola Bars (gluten free)
- Tart Cherry Pie Snack Balls (vegan, gluten free)
Want even more similar recipes? Check this out: 10 Healthy On the Go Snack Recipes