These Whole Wheat Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins are moist, delicious, healthy, and portable, with a tasty jelly surprise in the middle. Just like your favorite peanut butter and jelly sandwich — but more fun!
Whole Wheat Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins
Makes one dozen muffins
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal (Erewhon Rice Twice cereal works well here)
- 1 & ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup milk (or dairy free substitute)
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 12 teaspoons jam (any flavor — I used strawberry)
1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients (cereal, flour, sugar, baking powder & soda). In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients, except for jelly.
3) Add wet ingredients to dry, mixing lightly until uniform.
4) In a greased muffin tin, fill each cup about half way with batter. Place a teaspoon of jam in each cup, then cover the jelly with the second half of the batter.
5) Bake 20 minutes.
In addition to being a great snack or portable breakfast, these also make great pre-run fuel! Enjoy!