The key to these Zesty Lemon Zucchini Muffins is the lemon juice and zest! Such a bright, flavorful addition. These muffins are 100% whole wheat and stuffed with veggies — but you’d never know it. Make them immediately. You won’t be sorry.
Zesty Lemon Zucchini Muffins (Whole Wheat)
(makes 12 muffins)
- 1 & 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour (or half white, half regular whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1 C shredded zucchini or squash (carrots would work, too!)
- 1/4 C milk (or non-dairy substitute)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
Preheat oven to 350.
In two separate bowls, mix dry, then wet, and then combine, adding wet to dry and stirring gently until the mixture is uniform-ish. Spoon the mixture into a non-stick or sprayed muffin pan and sprinkle with oats to make them look pretty when they come out. :)
Bake about 25 minutes — fork check near end to make sure they are done. Enjoy!