Hey guys! Did this week go by quickly or is it just me?!
On the breakfast front this week, I’ve been having my two standard favorites – microwave banana oatmeal (topped with cottage cheese and berries) and my flour free breakfast pancake (microwave version), topped with yogurt, berries, and some slivered almonds for extra staying power.
As for lunches, I’m still loving sandwiches, but I’ve also been into my grain salad bowls again! This one from earlier in the week had greens, brown rice, kidney beans, feta, avocado, and beets. Delicious! Plus a homemade red wine vinaigrette (red wine vinegar + lemon juice + dijon mustard + olive oil). Have you guys tried red wine vinegar in place of balsamic vinegar in vinaigrettes? It’s my new fave!
I did have an awesome sandwich earlier this week though – I met my friend Karen at Glen’s Garden Market in Dupont for lunch and created my own sandwich. It had grilled chicken, bacon, avocado, pickles, tomato, arugula, and mayo. It was soooo good. Plus a small green juice!
I met up with her right before heading to Washington English Center for my last volunteer ESL tutoring session of the term! As I mentioned awhile ago, I started volunteering there after the election and was originally teaching English to a whole class of English as a second language students, but this term I mixed it up and did one-on-one tutoring instead. Since spring, I’ve been tutoring a really nice guy from Brazil, and we mostly worked on getting him more comfortable with casual conversation and practicing answering and asking questions. I had a lot of fun getting to know him and was really sad to say goodbye – they don’t have a summer tutoring term and obviously fall volunteering is out since I’m due in November. 🙂 He brought me a little gift to say thank you, including these fun chocolates he says are really popular in his home country!
On the home front, Zara has been getting more and more bold and comfortable around our new puppy Ashe! She’s randomly been obsessed with drinking the dog’s water instead of her own fresh water – too funny. Here are some pictures of Ashe watching her drink from her bowl like “what the heck is this?!” Lol!
Also, HOW is this pose comfortable?! (Note Zara resting nearby – yay!)
For fitness this week, I have been staying active but I realized I didn’t actually take any photos of anything- whoops! Here’s what I’ve been up to:
- Monday: solo lunchtime restorative yoga class at Edge Yoga via ClassPass (<- affiliate link for $30 off)
- Tuesday: morning boot camp at Urban Athletic Club via ClassPass with my buddy Kathleen
- Wednesday: rest day – working downtown, though, so I did a LOT of walking (to/from the metro, to/from tutoring, etc.)
- Thursday: solo morning swim! I finally got back in the pool for the first time in months! It felt soooooo good to be in the water and do some casual laps – I’m definitely going to start incorporating this more often again… I’m thinking once a week! I’m sure it will feel even better as I get bigger.
- Friday: Nothing yet, but planning on a solo lunchtime yoga class. 🙂
No running this week – I was supposed to have a jog/walk date on Thursday with Sokphal but unfortunately she asked to reschedule because she wasn’t feeling well. I think Matt and I will try to do a jog with the pup sometime this weekend so I can try out my new belly maternity band thing! It just arrived yesterday.
And now, I will leave you with one last thing: I’m a guest on the latest episode of the Strength Running podcast! Jason and I had a blast chatting all things running and nutrition, as always. We discussed the following and more:
- Is it ok to drink alcohol while you’re training for a race?
- What’s an optimal pre-marathon fueling strategy?
- Are carbs from bread or pasta “better/worse” than those from starchy vegetables?
- Have a great weekend guys! Also –
we’re bringing some friends with a new baby dinner tomorrow – for my readers with kids, what sort of food would you have loved to have someone bring you when you had a newborn?
- I’m thinking something healthy and packed with veggies would be welcome… maybe a summery casserole, like my
- , with some side salad action? Thoughts? I was thinking a casserole would be easy because I can prep it all here and then we can just pop it in the oven at their place without making a mess. 🙂 I made my
- last year for Kathleen and Zach when their baby arrived and it worked well, too, so that could also be an option! Or maybe I’ll do a hybrid of the two… anyway, ideas welcome!