I went to a dinner gathering at my friend’s house where she served us all a delicious Mexican lasagna that was so good I just had to recreate it and share. I hope you love this Mexican Lasagna recipe as much as we do!
One of the best things about recipes like this is that they’re so versatile! Leave out the chicken to make it vegetarian (the beans will still be plenty of protein and texture), or swap the whole grain tortillas for corn tortillas to make it gluten free.
I used this recipe that my friend followed as my inspiration, but scaled it down, tweaked some of the ingredients and the amounts, used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, etc. Tip: to save time, use a rotisserie chicken – or leftover shredded chicken!
This was a fun recipe to make with Matt — and it would be a great one to make with kids, too, because the ingredient amounts and the layers don’t have to be perfect by any means — just have fun with it!
- 6 whole grain or corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (optional)
- 1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 oz) salsa
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large green pepper, chopped (we used raw peppers, but they would also be great cut into strips and sauteed)
- 2 cans (2.25 oz each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In one large, deep baking dish or two smaller dishes, arrange a layer of tortillas. On top of the tortillas, layer on roughly half the chicken, beans, salsa, yogurt, green pepper, olives, and cheese, in that order. Add another layer of tortillas and repeat, saving a little of the salsa and cheese to go on top. Add one final layer of tortillas and top with the rest of the salsa, then the cheese. Add some chopped cilantro, if desired.
- Bake 20 minutes.
This recipe can easily be split into two pans, if you don’t have a large one on hand, by the way! My smaller dish ended up only getting one layer while the other had two — so again, just be creative with this recipe — you don’t have to follow the directions perfectly for it to be delicious. 🙂
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Matt and I both gave it two big thumbs up and froze some of the leftovers for later, too.
Love this recipe? You also might like: