I went to a dinner gathering at my friend’s house where she served us all a delicious Mexican lasagna. It was so good I just had to recreate it and share. I hope you love this Mexican tortilla lasagna recipe as much as we do!
Chicken Mexican Lasagna
One of the best things about recipes like this is that they’re so versatile! You can leave out the chicken to make it vegetarian (the beans will still be plenty of protein and texture). Or, swap the whole grain tortillas for corn tortillas to make it gluten free.
As always, avocado (or guacamole) makes for a great addition, too.
I used this recipe that my friend followed as my inspiration, but scaled it down, tweaked some of the ingredients and the amounts, etc. I also used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
This was a fun recipe to make with Matt. And it would be a great one to make with kids, too, because the ingredient amounts and the layers don’t have to be perfect by any means. Just have fun with it!
Mexican Lasagna Ingredients
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- whole grain or corn tortillas
- chicken breast (cooked & shredded)
- canned kidney beans
- canned black beans
- salsa (I used store-bought)
- plain Greek yogurt
- bell pepper
- sliced black olives
- shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
- cilantro (optional)
If you don’t have Greek yogurt, sour cream can be used – but keep in mind that Greek yogurt lightens up the recipe.
Tip: to save time, use a rotisserie chicken or leftover shredded chicken! Or, let your crockpot do the work with this slow cooker shredded chicken recipe.
How to Make Mexican Tortilla Lasagna
Start by preheating your oven to 350.
In a large, deep baking dish, arrange a layer of tortillas. Top with roughly half the chicken, beans, salsa, yogurt, green pepper, olives, and cheese, in that order.
Next, add another layer of tortillas. Repeat this process, saving a little salsa and cheese for the top. Then, add one final layer of tortillas. Top with the rest of the salsa and cheese. (This is when you want to add the chopped cilantro, if desired.)
Lastly, bake 20 minutes and serve! The cheese should be melted and bubbly.
This recipe can easily be split into two pans, if you don’t have a large one on hand, by the way! My smaller dish ended up only getting one layer while the other had two. So again, just be creative with this recipe. You don’t have to follow the directions perfectly for it to be delicious. 🙂
You can find the full Mexican tortilla lasagna recipe at the bottom of this post. I hope you love it as much as we do! Matt and I both gave it two big thumbs up and froze some of the leftovers for later, too.
Love this recipe? You also might like:
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Veggie Enchiladas (vegan if omit cheese)
- Mexican Brown Rice Casserole
- Mexican Brown Rice Salad Bowl (vegan)
- Healthy Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Mexican Quinoa Salad (vegan)
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas (gluten-free and made with yogurt!)
- Mexican Chicken Casserole (gluten free)
Mexican Tortilla Lasagna
This simple recipe is perfect to make on a Sunday and enjoy throughout the week. Leave out the chicken for a vegetarian option or use corn tortillas to make it gluten free. Serve warm, topped with avocado and hot sauce, if desired.
- 6 whole grain or corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (optional)
- 1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 oz) salsa
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large green pepper, chopped (we used raw peppers, but they would also be great cut into strips and sauteed)
- 2 cans (2.25 oz each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In one large, deep baking dish or two smaller dishes, arrange a layer of tortillas. On top of the tortillas, layer on roughly half the chicken, beans, salsa, yogurt, green pepper, olives, and cheese, in that order. Add another layer of tortillas and repeat, saving a little of the salsa and cheese to go on top. Add one final layer of tortillas and top with the rest of the salsa, then the cheese. Add some chopped cilantro, if desired.
- Bake 20 minutes.