Hey guys! Let’s kick off the weekend with some fun updates and faves, shall we? 🙂
1) We are adopting a puppy!!!!!! Isn’t she cute? The ears!! <3
Matt and I have been talking about getting a dog for quite awhile now, and when we were in Asheville last weekend, my best friend Jenny and I were in a café getting coffee when the cutest puppy came in. We were saying hi to her when the woman with the dog said that they were actually fostering her via the local shelter, and that she was up for adoption! Gah!
After coming home and having a lot of conversations and discussions about logistics with Matt, we’ve decided it was fate and we should go for it. We put in an application for her with the shelter and she is officially ours! Matt is going to be back down in NC in 2 weeks attending his brother’s PhD graduation, so he’s going to go do the paperwork and pick her up while he’s down there. We’re so excited. 🙂 She’ll be 5 months by the time we bring her home, so still a puppy but mostly already house trained. She’s some sort of a mix – they think she has some beagle and German shepherd in her, but it’s a grab bag! She’s so sweet – and relatively mellow for a puppy, too.
So, any tips for how to introduce a dog and a cat successfully?! One of the reasons we’ve waited so long to get a dog is because of poor Zara – we know she’s probably not going to love this! We’re thinking of keeping the basement solely her domain so she can always go there dog-free, but we don’t want to never see her again! Help! Any advice?!
Also, for those of you reading who live in Arlington and also have dogs, any tips on local dog parks, vets, dog-friendly cafes and restaurants, etc.? I’ve heard the Shirlington dog park is the best in the area and that the Clarendon one isn’t great despite how pretty it is… confirm/deny?
2) Back to the food! I’ve been really into oatmeal lately!
My standard go to is my microwave banana oatmeal with cottage cheese, nuts, and berries on top. The cottage cheese + sweet banana oats are soooo good together!
I’ve also been doing some overnight oats recently as the weather heats up, which has been a nice way to mix it up! I have a fun overnight oatmeal mix and match recipe post coming at you guys next week, so stay tuned.
3) Chelsea and I hit up Bodymass Gym in Arlington yesterday for another of their boot camp classes! Such a great workout – this has quickly become a new fave spot!
Also, they have an adorable gym dog named Flex (don’t worry, he only comes out when everyone is done working out – this picture was after class when Chelsea and I stayed and foam rolled). He looks kind of crazy in this picture with his teeth but he is really friendly and sweet!
4) My old fave Quinoa Taco Salad “recipe” (it’s more of a throw-together don’t need to measure type deal) got a photo update! Check it out if you want a really easy vegetarian lunch or dinner idea. 🙂
5) I’m excited because my cousin Spencer and his wife Michelle are in town visiting right now! (Remember their gorgeous wedding in San Diego last fall?) They got into town last night, and we took them to dinner at one of our local faves, Rockland’s BBQ. Casual and delicious! Mine is the pulled chicken sandwich on the bottom left. Hit the spot!
As for this morning, I introduced Spencer to my microwave banana oatmeal! He gave it two enthusiastic thumbs up – the banana is definitely the key. 🙂
And now, once I finish this post and get through some emails I’m going to take them on a fun adventure in DC today exploring the National Mall and monuments. 🙂 Spencer’s dad, my uncle Tim, is also joining us this weekend, but he won’t fly in until this evening. Lots of family gatherings are planned – should be fun!
Have a fabulous weekend everyone, and see you back here Monday!
Link love from around the web:
- Total Body Towel Workout (so creative to use a towel as a makeshift slider!)
- Sweet Potato Waffle Nachos (!! how awesome do these sound?)
- 3 Tips for Getting Motivated to Work Out
- 20 Healthy Ripe Banana Recipes That Aren’t Banana Bread or Smoothies
- How to Start Lifting Weights
- Chicken Sausage Sweet Potato Bake (love one dish meals)