You know what’s really fun about having had a blog for almost 10 years? Re-discovering old favorite recipes, like these gluten free Dark Chocolate Quinoa Bars!
Portable snacks that are actually filling are always a win, right? This recipe from 2012 has gotten a photo refresh and I decided it was worth re-sharing.
I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I have over the years!
Looking for more ideas? Here are some of my favorite quinoa recipes!
Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Quinoa Bars
Have you guys ever baked with chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour before?
It’s a great alternative to regular flour that’s gluten free and also higher in protein!
Mix with protein-packed quinoa, egg, and milk, and healthy ground flaxseed, and you have a seriously filling snack.
Dark chocolate chips, brown sugar (just enough to add some sweetness, but not so much that these are overly sweet), and a hint of vanilla round out the ingredients line up:
These quinoa bars are delicious, but whatever you do: don’t taste the raw batter!
Raw garbanzo bean flour = nasty tasting. Trust me.
I promise it will taste good once it’s baked!
You’re welcome. 😉
Also, be sure that you use cooked quinoa for this recipe, not raw.
Just cook extra and use the rest to make one of my other recipes, like my Quinoa Taco Salad. 🙂
(If you love quinoa, check out my post all about how to cook quinoa. It’s also got lots of delicious quinoa recipe ideas!)
How to Make Dark Chocolate Quinoa Bars
As usual, this recipe is easy to throw together. Simply mix the dry ingredients together, then the wet, then combine. Toss into a baking dish and bake for just shy of 30 minutes, et voila!
A delicious and portable filling snack that will be a hit with the whole family (especially if you’ve got chocolate lovers)!
Just look at that melty chocolate!
Whenever I make bars, I cut them up right away (well, after sampling them, obvi) and store them in the fridge wrapped individually in tin foil. This helps them keep longer.
Plus, it’s perfect for easy grabbing and going later when I’m inevitably running late. 😉
Want more healthy on-the-go bar recipes?
Check out my other favorites:
- 5-Minute No Bake Peanut Butter Granola Bars (vegan)
- Almond Butter Banana Breakfast Bars (vegan)
- Cranberry Quinoa Peanut Butter Power Bars
- Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Power Cookies (vegan)
- Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Granola Bars
- Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bars
Here’s the full dark chocolate quinoa bars recipe – enjoy it!
- 1 & 1/2 C cooked quinoa
- 1 C chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 1/4 C ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C milk (or non-dairy substitute)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. In a separate smaller bowl, mix wet ingredients, except for chocolate chips.
- Add wet to dry, stirring gently until mixed. Add in chocolate chips and mix.
- Poor batter into a baking pan — I used my 7x11 pan (about 2 inches deep), but you can use whatever size you have.
- Pop it in the oven and bake about 28 minutes — fork check to make sure they are done.
You’ll need to either have some leftover cooked quinoa on hand, or cook some up before you start this recipe. One cup cooked quinoa is equal to roughly 1/4 cup uncooked. Prepare with water according to the instructions on the box. Be sure to let the quinoa cool afterwards.