These banana applesauce bars with almond butter are a delicious, nutritious, and great on-the-go breakfast or pre-workout snack. Oh, and did I mention they happen to be vegan, too?
They’re soft and chewy, packed with oats, and sweetened with applesauce and maple syrup. I like to top them with a sprinkle of oats, too, for good measure. 🙂 Definitely my kind of breakfast!
Vegan Banana Oat Bars with Applesauce
These banana breakfast bars only take about 10 minutes to prep before tossing them in the oven to bake. They’re a great make-ahead breakfast you can easily bring with you on the go.
There’s just something about that banana and almond butter combo, too. The flavors go together so well. And with the applesauce, maple syrup, and ripe bananas, these bars are perfectly sweet without the need for any added sugar!
Here’s what you’ll need to make these:
- spelt flour
- old-fashioned rolled oats
- ground flaxseed (for extra nutritional power)
- baking powder
- baking soda
- unsweetened applesauce
- pure maple syrup
- almond butter (smooth, not crunchy)
- very ripe bananas (mashed – the riper, the better!)
How to Make Banana Breakfast Bars
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. In one bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix. In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients and mix.
Next, combine the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir gently until mixed. Pour into a greased baking pan (8×8 or 9×9 both work great) and pat down so the surface is even. Optional: top with a sprinkle of raw oats for extra-pretty bars. 🙂
Then, bake for about 25 minutes. Use a fork to check if they’re done (it should come out mostly clean). Allow to cool, then cut into bars.
Feel free to add a smear of almond butter or a dollop of Greek yogurt for even more staying power.
These bars should last for about 2 days in an airtight container on the counter, or you can freeze them for later. Either way, I recommend placing them in layers separated by parchment paper inside the container so they won’t stick together.
If storing on the counter, add a paper towel inside the container to soak up any excess moisture from the bars.
You’ll find the full banana applesauce bars recipe at the bottom of this post. Enjoy!
Love vegan baked goods? Here are some others to try:
- Banana Nut Quinoa Muffins (vegan & gluten free)
- Carrot Cake Muffins (vegan & whole wheat)
- Healthy Peanut Butter Power Cookies (vegan, gluten free)
- Red Lentil Granola Bars (vegan)
- Strawberry Scones (vegan)
- Vanilla Almond Biscotti (vegan)
- Vegan & Gluten Free Granola Bars (vegan, gluten free)
Banana Breakfast Bars with Applesauce
These Almond Butter Banana Breakfast Bars are a delicious, nutritious, and great on-the-go breakfast or pre-workout snack.
- 1 C spelt flour
- 1 C old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 C finely ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 C pure maple syrup
- 1/4 C smooth almond butter
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
Preheat oven to 350.
- In two separate bowls, mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients, then combine, adding wet to dry and stirring gently until mixed.
- Pour mixture into a pan and pat it down evenly. If you’ve learned anything from my blog, I hope it’s that you should always top baked goods with raw oats to make them look pretty 🙂
- Pop into the oven and bake for about 25 or so minutes. Fork check to make sure they are done. And voila! So easy.