The wait is over… today I am back to share the recipe for the Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies Matt made over the weekend to nurse me back to health. 🙂
They were absolutely delicious — healthy but not TOO healthy, if you know what I mean 🙂 He found a standard cookie recipe online, then healthified them using one of my cookie recipes as a comparison — he used whole wheat pastry flour instead of regular flour, added more oats, subbed half the butter for applesauce, etc. I’m so proud!
Matt’s Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
(makes about 2 dozen cookies)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dash or 3 of cinnamon
- 1 & 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (not regular WW flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup dark chocolate pieces
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, applesauce, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Mix in the oats and dark chocolate pieces. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto cooking sprayed or nonstick baking sheets.
- Bake 15 minutes; allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy 🙂
Matt in action:
Make these ASAP. Your family and friends won’t even know they’ve been healthified 😉
I just got home from class and am now all settled in sweatpants and a sweatshirt, ready to work on a take home exam for my Epidemiology class. No speed workout this morning — we decided it would be best to take a week off given my recent sickness, but I did get in a hilly 3 miler in my neighborhood this a.m. It felt good to get back out there!
What’s your favorite type of cookie? Mine is oatmeal anything… I just love the texture and taste 🙂
p.s. If you entered my Attune Foods giveaway — make sure you checked to see if you were one of the winners (announced at the end of this post)! There’s still a couple people that haven’t claimed their prizes 🙂