This easy slow cooker chicken taco soup is absolutely packed with deliciousness, from the juicy chicken and fire-roasted tomatoes to the black beans and sweet corn.
Did I mention it’s also super easy to make in the crockpot? Essentially, you just dump the ingredients in, set it and forget it.
Once the chicken is cooked through, you just shred it and voila! Dinner is served. Now that is my kind of dinner!
Healthy Crockpot Taco Soup with Chicken
I’ve always been a fan of taco soup (I mean, who isn’t?!), but this slow cooker version definitely takes the cake. It’s incredibly easy, mostly hands-off, flavorful, and perfect for loading up with lots of tasty taco toppings!
I love the combination of chicken, black beans, and corn in tacos, so they were the perfect starting points for this soup. Not only that, but it’s super versatile when it comes to toppings: you can add diced avocado, crunchy tortilla chips, or creamy Greek yogurt or sour cream.
This soup’s base recipe is gluten free and dairy free, plus super nutritious thanks to all the veggies and beans. Try it: I bet it’ll become a new family favorite weeknight meal!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this crockpot chicken taco soup recipe:
- chicken breasts (I recommend using boneless, skinless chicken breasts for even cooking and easier shredding. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs – or a mix of thighs and breasts – can also be used, but may not shred as easily.)
- seasonings (Ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and salt. This is like a homemade taco seasoning mix!)
- red onion
- bell peppers (I prefer red bell peppers, since they’re the sweetest and add a nice balance, but any color can be used.)
- jalapeno pepper (Optional! Keep the seeds in for a spicier soup, or leave them out for a milder spice level.)
- canned diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- black beans (Feel free to substitute pinto beans for black beans if you prefer. Or, do half and half!)
- corn (Unless you have fresh corn on hand, I recommend using frozen corn as it is less likely to have added salt than canned corn. But canned corn can also be used if you’re in a pinch! Or, leave out the corn altogether.)
- chicken broth (I prefer using low sodium chicken broth because it allows me to control the sodium level in the soup, but either kind works.)
- lime (For fresh lime juice.)
- black pepper or cayenne pepper (to taste)
You might also like this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup or this Crockpot Mexican Chicken!
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup in the Slow Cooker
Making this taco soup is super simple! Start by placing the chicken breasts and the seasonings in the slow cooker insert. Use tongs to toss the chicken breasts and coat them in the seasonings.
Next, add the chopped onion, bell peppers, jalapeno, fire-roasted tomatoes, black beans, corn and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Set it to cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.
Once the chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees in the center, remove it to a cutting board or plate. Use two forks to shred it into bite-sized pieces.
Then, add it back into the soup and stir in lime juice. Add any addition seasoning (like salt or cayenne pepper) to taste.
Be sure to taste first before adding salt, as you don’t want to add too much (especially if you did not use low sodium broth, as it is probably already quite salty in that case).
Lastly, ladle soup into bowls and add any desired toppings. Serve and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Taco Soup Storage Tips
To store this soup, first let it cool completely. Transfer in into an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 4 days. (Leave out the toppings if storing the soup for later.)
To reheat, either microwave or reheat on the stovetop. (If using the stovetop method, make sure to bring the soup to a boil for 3 minutes to ensure it’s heated thoroughly.)
Can chicken taco soup be frozen?
Yes, this soup freezes well! Let it cool, then freeze flat in zip-top, freezer-safe bags.
I recommend freezing it in either individual or two serving size portions, so that it’s easier to defrost only the amount you want to eat!
When you’re ready to enjoy, just thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat in a pot or in the microwave.
Can I use pre-cooked or rotisserie chicken?
Yes! You can use shredded rotisserie chicken here to save time. Just toss it into the soup at the beginning along with the spices and the rest of the ingredients.
You don’t need to cook the soup for as long if using this method, because the chicken is already cooked.
What type of chicken is best?
I prefer chicken breasts in this soup, because they pull into shreds nicely. But boneless skinless chicken thighs or a mix of breasts and thighs will work just as well.
Or, you can leave the chicken out for a vegetarian version that’s still delicious!
Taco Soup Topping Ideas
There are tons of tasty toppings you can add to this soup! Here are some ideas:
- diced avocado
- sour cream or Greek yogurt
- shredded cheese (stir it in until it gets nice and melted)
- crushed tortilla chips
- green onion (sliced thinly)
- jalapeno slices (leave in the seeds for added heat!)
- lime juice/wedges
- chopped fresh cilantro
I hope this taco soup is a hit with your family – I know it is with ours! I love that this recipe is super quick to throw together, too.
You’ll find the full recipe at the bottom of this post. Enjoy!
More easy soup & chicken slow cooker recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- Crockpot Mexican Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Drumsticks (Honey Mustard)
- Crockpot Balsamic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas Verde
- Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
This slow cooker chicken taco soup is packed with flavor, from the juicy chicken and fire-roasted tomatoes to the black beans and sweet corn.
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if you are using regular rather than low sodium chicken broth)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (omit the seeds for a milder spice level)
- 1 15-oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 15-oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz frozen corn
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- juice of 1 lime
- black pepper or cayenne pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: tortilla chips, shredded cheese, diced avocado, sliced green onion, plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, jalapeno slices, lime wedges, fresh cilantro
- Place the chicken, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and salt in the bottom of a slow cooker insert and use tongs to toss the chicken around and coat in the seasonings.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, jalapeno, tomatoes, black beans, corn, and chicken broth. Turn the slow cooker on and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken shreds easily with two forks.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and shred, then return to the soup and stir in the lime juice. Season with salt and black pepper or cayenne pepper, to taste.
- Serve and top with toppings, as desired.