I have a great new recipe to share with you guys today – Thai chicken soup with coconut milk! It’s veggie-packed, quick and easy to make, and seriously delicious.
I served it to a couple friends recently and they gave it thumbs up, too!
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
This soup is packed with unique Thai flavors, and it’s just as comforting as a typical chicken soup. Warm and delicious, with the perfect amount of creaminess from the coconut milk!
If you’re vegetarian or vegan, have no fear – you can easily modify this recipe! Just use firm cubed tofu instead of chicken, veggie instead of chicken broth, and nix the fish sauce (add an extra splash of soy sauce instead).
This makes a great healthy weeknight meal that comes together quickly. All that’s required is some veggie chopping and then the actual cooking time is quite short!
Here’s what you’re workin’ with, ingredient-wise:
- chicken (pre-cooked – leftover or rotisserie chicken is perfect here!)
- chicken stock
- coconut milk (use full-fat for extra creaminess, but light coconut milk works too)
- red pepper
- green onion
- fish sauce
- soy sauce
If you like your soups spicy, feel free to add 1 teaspoon of Thai chili garlic paste! Or, toss in some curry paste (around 2 tablespoons) to add some curry flavor to this soup.
You might also enjoy this cozy crockpot chicken noodle soup!
To make this recipe really fast, use a rotisserie chicken or already cooked leftover chicken. If you don’t have any cooked chicken on hand, you can use raw cubed chicken and just pan cook it first. Or, let it simmer and cook through in the broth. Either would work!
(Or, check out my post on how to cook frozen chicken breasts in your Instant Pot.)
How to Make Thai Chicken Soup with Coconut Milk
I love how simple this soup is! Start by heating some vegetable oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Toss in the celery, bell pepper, mushrooms, green onions, and ginger and saute for 7-8 minutes, until veggies are tender.
Next, add the fish sauce soy sauce, chicken, coconut milk, and chicken broth. Stir until well-mixed. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 1o minutes.
Garnish with sliced green onions, fresh cilantro, and/or lime wedges to make it extra pretty and flavorful! Enjoy – let me know how you like it. 🙂
Can you make this soup in the slow cooker?
Yes! Combine the broth ingredients (coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, and soy sauce) into the crockpot, then place 2-3 raw chicken breasts under the liquid. Make sure they’re completely submerged so they cook evenly. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, until chicken is 165 degrees F in the center.
Right before you take the chicken out, saute the veggies in a skillet on medium to medium-high heat with ginger and the white part of the green onion (thinly sliced). Add the cooked veggies to the crockpot broth, then take chicken out of the crockpot and place on a cutting board. Shred the chicken, then add that back into the soup too. Give it a good stir and serve!
You’ll find the full Thai coconut chicken soup recipe at the bottom of this post.
Love soup? Here are some other favorites to try:
- Creamy Mexican Chicken Chili Soup
- Chicken & White Bean Chili Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Curried Carrot Soup (vegan)
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Homemade Minestrone Soup (vegan)
- Cantaloupe and Avocado Soup
- Lentil Chili With Sweet Potatoes
- Butternut Squash Turkey Chili
- Crockpot Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 16 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk (regular or light)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili garlic paste (optional - spicy)
- Garnish: sliced green onions, fresh cilantro, lime wedges
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the celery, bell pepper, mushrooms, green onions, and ginger, and cook for 7-8 minutes, until tender.
- Add the fish sauce, soy sauce, chicken, coconut milk, and chicken broth.
- Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve topped with green onions, cilantro, and lime wedges.