I can never get enough easy, tasty chicken recipes, and this crockpot balsamic chicken is no exception!
It’s mostly hands-off, with a delicious tangy glaze, and goes well with tons of sides. And, it’s great for meal prep. Really, there’s no reason not to try it. 😉
Slow Cooker Chicken with Balsamic Glaze
This crockpot chicken recipe is super easy to throw together, but so flavorful and delicious.
Cooking chicken in the slow cooker then throwing it under the broiler for a minute to crisp up the skin is 100% my new go-to technique for cooking chicken!
It turns out tender and delicious with next to no work. Doesn’t get any better than that!
The balsamic vinegar makes for a great sweet, tangy, and savory sauce with the garlic and Italian seasoning. It’s the perfect base chicken recipe to serve with pesto pasta and caprese salad (as pictured) or for meal prep to put on top of salads, grain bowls, etc.
There are so many ways to enjoy this delish chicken!
(Psst: Check out my 11 Things to Do with Rotisserie Chicken post for some leftover chicken ideas!)
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this juicy crockpot balsamic chicken. Here’s what you’ll need:
- bone-in, skin-on chicken (breasts, thighs, or a combination)
- Italian seasoning
- garlic (grated or crushed)
- balsamic vinegar
- chicken broth (I recommend low sodium)
- salt & pepper
For another delicious chicken recipe, try these crockpot honey mustard chicken drumsticks or this slow cooker chicken cacciatore!
How to Make Balsamic Chicken in the Crockpot
There are just a few simple steps to juicy, flavorful chicken.
Start by placing the chicken in a slow cooker insert. Season the chicken on both sides with Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and garlic.
Next, pour in the balsamic vinegar and chicken broth, coating the chicken.
And that’s it! Set the slow cooker to high heat for 3.5-4 hours, or low for 6-7 hours.
The last step is optional, but I highly recommend it if you want the chicken to get nicely browned and crispy on the outside. (If you’re using skinless chicken, skip this step).
Remove the chicken pieces and place them on a sheet pan. Broil in the oven for 2-3 minutes, until the skin is golden brown.
Then, serve with your desired sides (I served it with pesto pasta and caprese salad here), and dig in!
Can I use boneless, skinless chicken?
Yes! The cooking time shouldn’t change much, but I would skip the broiling since there wouldn’t be any skin to get crispy.
Without the bone and skin to keep the pieces together, they might fall apart more after cooking, so this would be a great option to easily make shredded chicken for meal prep.
Can I make this in an Instant Pot?
This would totally work in the Instant Pot!
I would use the method from my Instant Pot Maple Mustard Chicken recipe. Essentially, sear using the saute function, then add liquid ingredients and cook on the “poultry” function for 10 minutes for bone-in pieces.
Balsamic Chicken Side Dish Ideas
This balsamic glazed chicken would be amazing with so many sides! Here are just a few ideas:
- roasted veggies (like these Herb & Garlic Roasted Vegetables, Miso & Honey Roasted Brussels Sprouts, or Sauteed String Beans with Garlic & Lemon – here’s how to cook frozen green beans!)
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Apple Cabbage Slaw with White Beans
- “Cheesy” Mushroom Quinoa (vegan)
- Baked Buttercup Squash with Goat Cheese
- Crunchy Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
However you choose to serve it, I hope you love this slow cooker balsamic chicken!
It was even a hit with our 4 year old (the pesto pasta, on the other hand, was not – she was quite offended by the “green stuff” on her pasta. You win some, you lose some.)
You’ll find the full recipe at the bottom of this post.
What’s your favorite side to serve with chicken? Let me know in the comments!
If you’re looking for more tasty chicken recipes, check these out:
- Honey Lemon Chicken (Slow Cooker)
- Pan Seared Chicken Thighs with Pomegranate Glaze
- Crockpot Mexican Chicken
- Watermelon Chicken with Balsamic Glaze
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- Instant Pot Maple Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Mediterranean Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs
- Baked Maple Curry Chicken
Crockpot Balsamic Chicken
This crockpot balsamic chicken recipe is super easy to throw together, but so flavorful and delicious. Sweet, tangy, and savory!
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken (breasts, thighs, or a combination)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or crushed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Place the chicken in a slow cooker insert. Season with Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Pour the balsamic vinegar and chicken broth over the chicken. Cook on high for 3.5-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
- If desired, remove chicken pieces and place on a sheet pan. Broil for 2-3 minutes, until the skin is golden brown and crispy.