This Turkey, Veggie, & Barley Chili is hearty, filling, and full of flavor! Chili is one of my favorite comfort foods for chilly nights, and the combination of turkey, barley, and tons of veggies makes this chili the perfect meal for when I’m craving something cozy but not too heavy.
The barley is my favorite addition in this chili – the chewy texture is super hearty and satisfying, and adding a whole grain to the recipe makes this chili super filling and high in fiber. I also love all the veggies packed into this chili, making it colorful and full of nutrients. All together, it’s a well rounded and healthy meal that definitely keeps you full and warms you up, but doesn’t leave you weighed down.
This chili is super easy to make, too! Start by cooking the barley – since it takes a little while to get tender, you can prep the remaining ingredients while it’s cooking. Then saute the veggies and turkey, add canned tomatoes and spices, and stir in the barley once it’s cooked!
You’ll definitely want to get some tupperware containers ready for leftovers, too. This recipe makes a ton of chili, but I think it tastes even better heated up the next day!
- 1 32-oz container low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 2 14-oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- Combine vegetable broth and barley in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, until barley is tender and most liquid is absorbed.
- While barley is cooking, chop all veggies and prep remaining ingredients.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or saute pan with tall edges. Add ground turkey, garlic, onion, bell pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms. Saute until turkey is fully cooked and veggies are tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pan, along with the barley and any remaining broth once it's tender.
- Stir all ingredients together and cook until heated through.
Looking for more awesome chili and soup recipes? Here are some of my favorites!
- Sweet Potato Lentil Chili
- Chicken & White Bean Chili Soup
- Butternut Squash Turkey Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Raspberry Chipotle Black Bean chili
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken Stew