Hey my friends – I’m starting off this workweek feeling quite relaxed after our nice long holiday weekend! On Friday night, we had Thanksgiving dinner take 2 – hooray for leftovers. It was just as delicious the second time around.
Thankfully we also had some pie and ice cream leftover. 🙂 Pumpkin pie = one of my absolute favorite desserts!
Matt and I took home the leftover turkey meat and the leftover turkey carcass, which was awesome. Homemade soup, our favorite! We made broth by boiling the turkey bones with veggies (celery, onion, carrot, and garlic) and water, then reducing to low heat and letting it simmer (covered) for about 6 hours.
Our house smelled amazing and the resulting broth was delicious – so rich and flavorful! After the 6 hour simmer, we strained the turkey bones and soft veggies from the pot, leaving just the broth. Rather than making a big soup we left the broth separate and sauteed some veggies in another separate pan, then just poured the broth over them in our bowls. This way the veggies/other ingredients won’t get soft and gross and we can do different variations of the soup!
On Saturday night we had one with carrots, celery, brown rice (leftover and already cooked), and turkey.
Last night we added some other veggies to the mix – zucchini and spinach as well!
As before we added the broth to a smaller pot of cooked veggies, which was just enough for the two of us.
Other leftover creations included a delicious wrap filled with leftover turkey, cranberry sauce, greens, avocado, and mustard. I made this again the next day but with hummus instead of mustard!
Also: in case you were wondering, leftover homemade cranberry sauce is delicious in my microwave banana oatmeal. 🙂 Plus cottage cheese and some sprouted pumpkin seeds! Such a good combo.
I was fighting off a bit of a cold and took Friday and Saturday as super low key rest days from exercise. By Sunday I was luckily feeling up for a run date with friends – hooray!
It was one of those perfect fall running days in DC – low 50’s and super sunny. My favorite! Also, I’m proud to say that Sokphal has now perfected the art of the running selfie.
We did one of our standard favorite DC loops. Felt so good to be out and about! I was surprised when we finished and I saw that we had done 7.2 miles – wow! Great run. I’m still loving this “I’m just training for life and not a race” phase, especially with this great running weather. 🙂
Speaking of – I created a fun new running tank I think you guys will love as much as I do! “Count Miles, Not Calories.” 🙂 It’s only available until December 6 so if you’re into it, here’s the link to buy it. It would make a great holiday gift for your favorite non-diet/intuitive eating runner! 🙂 Just an FYI if you are between sizes, I’d size down – it runs a little large.
Have a great day guys!
A few Cyber Monday deals of note (fyi, affiliate links are included):
- If you’ve been thinking of starting a blog, BlueHost is offering a $2.95 a month hosting deal today only. Here’s my post on how to start a blog on WordPress walking you through the set up!
- Brooks: spend $120 and get a fun holiday running shirt or socks! Also, most of their gear is 30% off. My current faves: Ravenna running shoes, Launch running shoes, Mazama trail shoes, UpRise Crossback Sports Bra, Streaker Long Sleeved Running Shirt, Chaser Running Shorts, Threshold Pant, Drift 1/2 Zip Top, lightweight tab running socks, running visor, Drift mitten gloves — and for my fellow Marine Corps Marathon-ers, their MCM branded gear is on their website, too!
- Athleta: 20% Off Your Purchase today only. Use code RECHARGE at athleta.com. I’m obsessed with this cozy crossback shirt and these tights with sheer paneling on the leg!
- Old Navy: 50% off Everything at oldnavy.com (no code needed). I’m loving this adorable trench coat… but really everything from Old Navy is awesome. 🙂
- Columbia: 30% Off Sitewide + Free Shipping at Columbia.com (no code needed) – I’m eyeing some awesome new winter gear like this jacket… would be nice for walking to the metro on really cold days!