The key to these healthy Vegan Zucchini Muffins is the lemon juice and zest! Such a bright, flavorful addition.
These muffins are 100% whole wheat and stuffed with veggies — but you’d never know it. Make them immediately. You won’t be sorry!
Pin this image to save for later!
Healthy Vegan Zucchini Muffins
These muffins are one of my absolute favorites. They’re bright and flavorful, and make a great portable breakfast or snack.
I love the walnuts in them, too! They add such a nice nutty crunch to the muffins, and sneak some healthy fats in there too.
Between the fiber from whole wheat flour, zucchini, and applesauce, and the healthy fat from walnuts, these muffins keep you fuller than your average muffin. So they’re perfect to curb that afternoon energy slump!
Lemon Zucchini Muffin Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe. The cool thing about it is, you can swap out the zucchini for carrots or squash if you want to try something different! Use what you have on hand.
- whole wheat pastry flour (or half white, half regular whole wheat flour)
- chopped walnuts
- baking powder
- baking soda
- unsweetened applesauce
- shredded zucchini or squash (carrots would work, too!)
- non-dairy milk (or dairy if preferred)
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
How to Make Zucchini Muffins
These muffins couldn’t be easier to make! Start by preheating your oven to 350.
Combine all the dry ingredients in one bowl. Separately, mix together all the wet ingredients. Combine the wet bowl into the dry bowl, and mix until the batter is uniform. (Don’t over-mix, though).
Spoon the batter into a non-stick or sprayed muffin pan. (You can also use muffin cups to keep the muffins from sticking to your pan.) Sprinkle with some uncooked oats and chopped walnuts to make them look extra pretty when they come out. 🙂
Bake for about 25 minutes. Near the end, use a fork or toothpick to check if they’re done. (It should come out clean). Let the muffins cool on a wire rack, then enjoy!
Feel free to also add extra lemon zest on top, too!
I love how moist and tasty these turn out. Especially perfect for summer!
Zucchini’s peak season is from June to late August, so that’s when it’ll be the ripest and most fresh. But you can usually find it year-round, too.
You’ll find the full vegan zucchini muffins recipe at the bottom of this post.
What’s your favorite way to eat zucchini? Let me know in the comments!
If you like this recipe, check out some of my other favorite muffin recipes!
- Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Muffins (vegan)
- Banana Spelt Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins (or Bread)
- Peach Muffins (dairy free, gluten free)
- Whole Wheat Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins (vegan)
- Sweet Potato Cranberry Coconut Muffins
- Spiced Butternut Squash Muffins
Zesty Lemon Zucchini Muffins (Whole Wheat)
The key to these Zesty Lemon Zucchini Muffins is the lemon juice and zest! Such a bright, flavorful addition. These muffins are 100% whole wheat and stuffed with veggies — but you’d never know it. Make them immediately. You won’t be sorry.
- 1 & 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour (or half white, half regular whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1 C shredded zucchini or squash (carrots would work, too!)
- 1/4 C dairy or non-dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In two separate bowls, mix dry, then wet, and then combine, adding wet to dry and stirring gently until the mixture is uniform-ish. Spoon the mixture into a non-stick or sprayed muffin pan and sprinkle with oats & walnuts to make them look pretty when they come out. 🙂
- Bake about 25 minutes — fork check near end to make sure they are done. Enjoy!