The key to these Zesty Lemon Zucchini Muffins is the lemon juice and zest! Such a bright, flavorful addition. These muffins are 100% whole wheat and stuffed with veggies — but you’d never know it. Make them immediately. You won’t be sorry.
I love the walnuts in here, too! They add such a nice nutty crunch to the muffins, and sneak some healthy fats in there too! Between the fiber from whole wheat flour, zucchini, and applesauce, and the healthy fat from walnuts, these muffins keep you fuller than your average muffin – making them great for breakfast or a portable snack!
They couldn’t be easier to make, either: just mix wet and dry separately, then combine to make the batter.
Don’t forget to top with chopped walnuts and oats to make them extra pretty! 🙂
- 1 & 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour (or half white, half regular whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1 C shredded zucchini or squash (carrots would work, too!)
- 1/4 C dairy or non-dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In two separate bowls, mix dry, then wet, and then combine, adding wet to dry and stirring gently until the mixture is uniform-ish. Spoon the mixture into a non-stick or sprayed muffin pan and sprinkle with oats & walnuts to make them look pretty when they come out. 🙂
- Bake about 25 minutes — fork check near end to make sure they are done. Enjoy!
If you like this recipe, check out some of my other favorite muffin recipes!
- Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Muffins (vegan)
- Banana Spelt Muffins
- Paleo Pumpkin Muffins (gluten free)
- Peach Muffins (dairy free, gluten free)
- Whole Wheat Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins (vegan)
- Sweet Potato Cranberry Coconut Muffins